Heavy Breathing and Worming Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I have a goat who is breathing funny. Acting well otherwise that I can tell, but sounds like a dog sniffing at food. He sounds like his nose is stuffed up but has no discharge. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I was wondering about lung worms, because I haven't wormed in about 4 months. shame on me, I know.

Along the same lines, I have some dectomax injectable given to me by the vet...the bottle says injectable, but it is the bottle the vet gave me, not a labeled bottled. Can I give it to me goats orally? Shots for most of them are a pain, hence that's why I haven't given them wormer in months.

Just wondering. I will watch my goat when I get home today and let you know if I see any other symptoms.

Thanks for any help!

2. celadon

celadon Well-Known Member

That is what mine is doing also. Sounds like a sniffing dog. ANxious to hear some answers too.

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I would definitely consult your vet over the phone before giving ANY antibiotic orally. If given orally I would think you run the risk of killing the bacteria in the rumen and that would be very serious. Even if you didn't kill the bacteria I would not expect an antibiotic to work the same if given orally and the dose would be wrong or it could be ineffective.

Does it have a temp?

4. Croenan

Dectomax is a wormer...don't know if he has a temp. We have had alot of rain these last few days so I am hoping its not a respiratory bacterial infection. Personally, I think the goat house is nasty right now.

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

There are some injectables that are given orally but I can't help with this one. This is all so very new to me and the learning curve seems straight up.

6. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Get some ivermectin 1 % cattle injectable given at 1cc per 50lbs. All wormer for goats should be given orally. Most shots are given SQ . If the goat is acting fine and no fever just watch him.

7. Croenan

Can anyone tell me if the Dectomax (injectible) can be used orally or is the oral product a different product?

8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

9. Croenan

Thanks!

I went to check on him at lunch and he seems to be breathing better now!???

10. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If your guys are Nubian or Boer, it's pretty normal. With really good Nubian breed character all my bucks sound like pug dogs when they are in rut. Their necks get huge, their heads get bigger and all the peeing and spraying on their face has to do a number on their nasal passages.....BOY do I know it does a number on mine!!! :) I never treat stuff like this.

Now if it's liquid nose, snotty nose than try some benedryl....you don't treat runny noses in yourself with antibiotics, why would it work on a goat? Of course if it progresses into something else than of course hit it hard.

Yes their are nosebots that can cause and icky nose with this weird brown exude at the corners, injectable Ivermectin used at bottle dosages as an injectable will get this. Make sure your bucks barn is not damp, lots of airflow, chemical pnemonia from urine/amonia build up or lime can also have these symptoms.

Yes Dectomax is used orally....just remember if you have resistance to one Ivermectin product you likely have resistance to another. Vicki