Heaven's Gate (Please post memorials here)

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by beccachow, Jun 30, 2011.

1. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

She was a big German Shepherd that came to us because her owner was older and was having surgery and would not be able to care for her after the surgery and he wanted her to have a farm to run on. We gave him a $100 rehoming fee and brought her home, to Dunroven Farms. She truly was Dunroven. She was pregnant when she came and she had 5 beautiful pups, all of which sold very quickly. She looked like Rin Tin Tin, very majestic and beautiful when she stood still sniffing the wind.

In the morning she would go bounding out before me, knowing it was time to do chores and knowing just as well that a taste of cat chow was waiting for her, when I would sneak it to her. She talked to me, saying, oh, oh, oh, most of the time, which is one reason she got her nickname Ho, Ho.

Absolutely sweet tempered and never attacked anything except for kittens, which I still believe she thought were rats or toys, but I tucked one she killed into her collar under her chin and let her carry it around for a day. Lesson learned. She never killed another kitten, although even a week ago she gave cats a run for the money.

On her last day, yesterday, she was able to go to do chores, not bounding, but just walking and when we got to the rabbit house, she laid down and could not summon the strength to get up. I took a bale of hay close to her and sat and talked to her and told her how much joy and love she had given me and how I would miss her forever. I begged her not to go, selfish I know, but I didn't want to let go. Finally she turned her big, beautiful eyes up to me and just said what I needed to hear with those eyes. "Please mom, let me go. I'm in so much pain and you can't stop it anymore. Please let me go."

My husband took her to the back of our property and she told him goodbye, he didn't like Heidi that much but he said she just looked right up at him and told him, "Its okay, I'm ready to go." He put her down swiftly and stayed with her to be sure she had left before he came in.

I have kitten tracks and horse hoof prints and goat paws all over my heart, but in the midst of all of them are my sweet Ho Ho's paw prints, and the picture of her holding up a paw saying, "Good morning mom! Lets do chores!"

Rest in peace my lovely girl. I will keep wonderful memories of you! You were my special girl.

Love, Mom

mnn2501 and dsmythe like this.
  2. mothernature

mothernature Well-Known Member

I lost my beloved Golden Retreiver "Dixie" back in August of 2012 due to a heart valve disorder (she was 12)! As badly as my husband and I miss her, our old cat misses her soooo much! We have another dog now, and the cat likes her, but he still goes to Dixie's favorite nap place and sits as if he's waiting for her! It's amazing how much animals can mourn for their loved ones!!

dsmythe likes this.

3. beccachow

beccachow Animal Addict Supporter

Mothernature, any one who says animals don't mourn or have no souls haven't been around them very long.

mnn2501 and dsmythe like this.
  4. cnsranch

cnsranch Well-Known Member

It will be three weeks on Friday that I had to put my best girl Reba down she would have been 11yrs old on thanksgiving. I got her when she was only 3 weeks old too young but she was a great dog and she tried so hard to please and make her family happy she thrived on hearing"what a good girl" she was a. Funny girl too once we spent the weekend at some friends house out of town and took her with us well they had a cat and the cat taunted her all weekend long she would never hurt a cat just wanted to chase her well in the process of saying our goodbyes and loading kids and such into the truck that cat ran across the yard and she took off after the cat cat runs up the tree dog nips end of cats tail and cat does back flip lands on dogs back and they are running through the yard and all of us are standing there with our mouths hanging open thinking" did that really just happen" then we all busted out giggling. Then another time I couldn't catch the mini horse in the pasture so I sent Reba out after him and all was well she followed behind him , he was walking and when he would stop she would poke him in hip with her nose well she had him almost to the barn and he decided he had had enough and turned around and looked at her and she just sat down and waited for me and looked at me like now what?...
    I will miss her forever she was my shadow, my companion, my helper and my best buddy.

dsmythe likes this.
  5. 7thswan

7thswan Well-Known Member Supporter

I am sorry about your Girl. Please put this post down in the regular threads, many other people will see it and help support you thru this hard time. Again, I am so sorry, I know the heartbreak is awful. Hugs and Prayers.

dsmythe likes this.
  6. amylou62

amylou62 Well-Known Member Supporter

7. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Lost our sweet Rosebud Sat. morn. . She had what I thought was a heart attack but the started to pass blood from her mouth and rear.. We had her for 17yrs. and her fur brother ( also here for 17yrs.) is lost.. He keeps hunting her..doesn't want to come in, keeps making rounds until we go get him. He whined for hours Sat
    night before settling down.. Dh has cried even more than me.. of course I called her to come in Sat night... heart broken Queen Bee..

dsmythe likes this.
  8. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Lost my sweet Tucker as only 1 1/2yrs of age to cancer. We thought it was only cherry eye and then the vet said it was more likely to be an infection caused by something getting behind the eye. We found out last Friday it was a very aggressive fast growing cancer and it was already spreading to his mouth and lymph nodes.

I made the tough decision to spend one last weekend with my baby boy before saying goodbye. I didn't want him to suffer and I wasn't going to put him through treatments just for me.

Tucker you brought so much joy and laughter into my life during the short time I had you. I remember the first time I ever met you and how you snuggled down right into my neck like you where made just for me. You where so small but so full of life, you are gone too soon but I know we will see each other again and I will always love and miss you.

RIP Tucker
    March 19th 2012 - December 30th 2013

Justine

7thswan, dsmythe and katykanuk like this.
  9. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Today is also the 2yr anniversary since I lost my old boy of 13yrs Riot. He had congestive heart failure and made it through Christmas and New Years before I said goodbye.

We had been together since I was just 12yrs old, we grew up together and went through many changes, moves, failures and triumphs together. Riot I miss you like it was just yesterday....losing your nephew Tucker this last Monday brought back the memories of when I said goodbye to you.

I will see you both in Heaven, thank you for 13 wonderful years together. I love you both so much.

7thswan, dsmythe and katykanuk like this.
  10. PrincessFerf

PrincessFerf Enter farm name here

Last night we had to say goodbye to our 8.5 year old English Coonhound, Chloe. We adopted her when she was 9 weeks old. She was by far the naughtiest and smartest dog we have ever owned and we loved her deeply.

She lost her sight last October which we then discovered was due to a tumor in her head. It progressed quickly and eventually took her quality of life. It is NEVER an easy decision and always the hardest thing to do, even though it is the best for them. We knew she was starting to suffer and we couldn't stand to let her be in pain.

We will miss her coonie ways and I pray that she is chasing tractors up in doggie heaven.

11. cabingrl11

cabingrl11 Well-Known Member

R.I.P. Willow
    You were a fierce and powerful kitty cat. Thank you for coming into our life sweet girl.

12. Rockytopsis

Rockytopsis A & N Lazy Pond Farm Supporter

Went to the barn to feed and milk as usual and Tammy did not show up so went to look for her and found her dead on the top of the dam. No idea, she looked as if she just dropped.

Checked her over for wounds and found none.

She was a great dog.

Nancy

Attached Files:

7thswan and dsmythe like this.
  13. mizlew

mizlew Active Member

Jake, our Pembrooke Welsh Corgi, was laid to rest December 2, 2014 at the age of 9. My DH gave hime to me as a Xmas present in December, 2005. He was the smartest, most loving, joy loving con artist you would ever want to meet. He had congestive heart failure with a massive infection. We could not let him suffer. He was buried in our front flower bed where he can always chase the mailman one of his favorite things to do. He is missed, he is loved and always will be. He was one of a kind. I will join him someday and we will go for a walk together. I love you Jakie Boy.

7thswan and dsmythe like this.
  14. Hdunc20

Hdunc20 Well-Known Member

When we gave our dog a new home we found out out later that he was put down because a pig had got him rest in peace flea rip

15. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

May 15, 2015

Pippin came to us as a feral kitten, she was born under our mobile home when we lived in Arlington, TX one cold February evening.

She was taken to the humane shelter under their spay and release program, was spayed and declared by them to be unadoptable and returned to us to release.

Well I couldn’t let a cute little thing like that out to get run over by a car or eaten by a coyote so we had our 3rd cat. My wife worked with her, holding and petting her while Pippin both hissed and purred at the same time. Eventually we won her over and she joined our growing clan.

She had a purr motor that just wouldn’t quit and would lick you while you were holding her – no wonder they said she was unadoptable.

She was diagnosed with a heart murmur a couple years after she came to us and was on medication for that the last 7 or 8 years.

She had been ill lately and today could not use her back legs and was obviously in great pain.
    My wife heard her meowing in pain and found her on the floor not moving. She called me on her way to the vet and I told her not to let Pippin suffer. The vet diagnosed a blood clot that was blocking the back half of her body from getting blood and it was quickly decided not to let her suffer. We had been told when she was first diagnosed with the heart condition that this might eventually happen.

She passed quietly in my wife’s arms since I was at work, joining; Patches, Fluffy and Simba who I am sure were waiting for their little sister as she crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.
    She is survived by feline sister and brother Tigger and Nemo and her new canine sister Emma

dsmythe likes this.
  16. dodgesmammaw

dodgesmammaw Well-Known Member

02/05/16 We lost our Sophie Mae. She was a 8 1/2 year old Schnauzer . She was a really good girl. She is greatly missed.

Queen Bee likes this.
  17. topothemountain

topothemountain Well-Known Member

We lost one of our Great Pyrenees girls. Big'un was 10 weeks old when she came to us and has guarded our farm along with one of her sisters and our male dog for many years.

She passed away 2 1/2 weeks ago and left behind one little female puppy, Blanca, that was a 1 1/2 weeks old when her mom passed. Blanca has been bottle fed and is chubby and happy, being hand raised by her surrogate human parents.

Big'un was a great protector and there have been no losses to livestock or poultry since she and her sibling came to the farm. She will be missed but her little legacy is chewing on my pants leg as I write.

Attached Files:

18. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

We buried our little Katie this afternoon. A special flower will now grow in the corner of the back yard. I feel like I should have/could have found some way to fix her. The vet was kind but had no idea why she could no longer walk. Katie is a Maltese breeder rescue and was only ten years old. My heart is happy for her but the tears keep coming.

19. Harrier

Harrier Well-Known Member

Sinbad, a tortoiseshell domestic shorthair feral cat died on July 1, 2017.

I had to make the painful but right decision to put her to "sleep"

She was brought into our family as a feral cat and she became our little girl.

This cat was a companion, friend, and unique personality.

I cried everyday for weeks after she peacefully passed.

She developed cancer and fought valiantly, even tolerating my attempts to give her medicine that would prolong her life, but she had better places to go.

I never believed in the Rainbow Bridge until I lost Sinbad.

I now know that she is waiting for me.

RIP, Sinbad. We miss you.

mnn2501 likes this.