heating your home

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by commomsense, Oct 28, 2005.

1. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

I was wondering how do you heat your home?

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Wood Stove with electric furnace for when we aren't home.

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We use butane plus we have a wood heating stove to supplement in the living room. We basically live in just one room during the winter time. We use a heating mattress pad in our bedroom as we do not use heat in there, plus alot of quilts.

4. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Wood stove. And I just bought an oil-filled electric radiator for when we're out.

5. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

My primary heating fuel is oil. I have a boiler for the hot water system that uses old fashioned cast iron radiators. The boiler also heats my hot water year round. Most of the second floor has electric baseboard heat, with a thermostat in each bedroom. It is only turned on for guests who can't deal with a cold bedroom.

I start a fire in the woodstove each evening for extra warmth. During the daytime, i am in and out of the house and keep busy. During the evenings I basically sit around at the computer and/or TV and feel chilly without the supplemental woodstove heat.

I have programmable thermostats that I keep at 63, 64, or 65 depending on the time of day and heating zone, and 55 overnight.

6. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

We use a couple of woodburners. Last year we started to get concerned about staying warm so I did some heavy insulating, and added some large windows on the south facing wall (thermopane). Several mornings we had temps in the 70"s with the fire out overnight. When the temp outside is 15 or so and the temp inside is 70 it is real hard to get up, at least for a while. The insulation has paid it's way, and hopefully will pay again this year. :cool:

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Woodstove with a propane furnace for when we're out or just plain lazy.

8. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Wood stove for a part and a whole house propane furnace. I have ordered, but not received, a pellet stove that will take the place of the propane furnace. Expect my winter heat bill to decrease by 70-80%.

9. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

a woodstove with 100 watt baseboard heaters in each room on seperate thermostats, ifthey are neded... like today when I cant walk as my back went out of joint... so no carrying wood! or anything!

i dunno what bugs me more... the electric consumption or the pain...

probably the electric..

lol

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A geothermal heatpump, works great and is reasonable regarding costs of operation.

12. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

A natural gas wall heater & a fireplace!

13. OD

OD Well-Known Member

We heat the whole house with a wood stove. There is a small propane heater in the bathroom that is only used early in the morning. It will probably be used even less this year to save propane.

14. Tweetybird

Tweetybird Well-Known Member

I have an oil burner, with a hot water heater. I keep the temp, at 55 degrees. Then I have a woodstove and a fireplace with a Texas fireframe. At night with the 55 degree temp, I sleep under a goosedown quilt, with a cotten blanket, summer quilt, and jersy sheet under it. I am warm as toast.

My big worry is feeding the furnace. I have looked into getting the biofuel but cannot find a distributer in my area.

15. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We have a wood stove in the living room. It's an "Earth Stove" purchased in 1979. It's wonderful. Controlled air flow, no smoke in the house, will still have coals going in the morning if you build the fire right the night before.

If it gets REALLY cold, I have a small electric heater for the bathroom, so that I'm not chilled after a shower.

16. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

We heat primarily with wood in our Country Flame fireplace, which is thermostatically controlled. It has a blower system and is ducted thru the house like the furnace is. We have a furnace in the house for backup which runs off propane.

In addition we have 6 huge skylights in our south facing living room (and 2 smaller ones in our kitchen) which provide a great deal of passive solar heat and natural lighting. The skylights will raise the temperature in the house approx. 20+ degrees when the sun is blasting in from the south/southwest.

17. dugan

dugan Well-Known Member

corn with propane back up

18. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We use gas log stoves (Waterford and Jotul) converted to burn propane. They are beautiful and our cabin is warm and cozy.

19. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

Primarily wood stove with a fuel oil heater for back up. Sweaters and hot chocolate are used much in the winter too ;)

20. roadrash

roadrash Well-Known Member

Natural Gas high efficiency furnace,natural gas hot water,Pellet stove with an inverter and three deep cycle batteries (for when the power goes out)heats most of my downstairs.My pellet stove will burn corn also but I have not tried it yet!I would like to someday put in a add on wood-coal combination furnace to eliminate the need for the natural gas furnace.