Heating Oil

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MarkNH, May 18, 2004.

1. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

Hello All,
    In the past we usually "pre-buy" our heating oil to lock in low summer prices for use in the winter. I don't know what to do this year as it seems that oil prices may be higher this summer than they might be this winter. The pre-buy is usually late summer/early fall. We could fill up now and take our chances.

If we pre-buy and the price drops then we've bought more expensive oil. I do know that I've cut and stacked extra firewood this past winter just in case.

For those who live in the north land and prebuy, what are you planning on doing?

Arggh, looks like a potential budget buster.

2. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

We prebuy our propane in the summer also. I've thought about this same question and have decided to gamble and go ahead and do the prebuy.

Karen in NE Indiana

3. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

While I think prices will remain fairly high this summer, I personally believe that they will only go up by even more by winter. That's how we are playing it.

4. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I always sign up for the locked in propane prices(always 20-30 cents cheaper) that our supplier offers if you're on the keep fill program. Every year it's gone up but this season I'm really concerned. :(

I heard even those on the lock in price might be paying $2 gallon!! I'd sure hate to see what the pay as you go folks will get charged.
    Now I have a 500 gal tank which gets filled to 80% or 400 gallons so thats $800 for one fill up! :eek: Last year which was fairly mild here, and with the thermostat set at 64 & a super insulated house I used almost 2 tank fulls. :no:

I will definitely be using the woodstove this heating season! :yeeha

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

you could check the D M R O and see if there is any fuel up for bid ,you can cut #2 diesel with heating oil it just smokes a little bit , we used to buy it weekly inthe summer and then come cold weather the tank was full. also the dealers who have kerosene will sell it at last years price you can mix that with the diesel also.