Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hot water heater went out and I just don't want to get a new one for a while.

I'm looking for alternative ways to heat bathtub water, ways that don't involve pots of water on the stove, etc. Or solar which I'd love to do someday but can't now for a variety of reasons.

Needs to be simple. Any suggestions? :kung:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Crockpot or a roaster? Actually before my sister got a water heater (she and bil built their house themselves) she kept a crockpot full of water so she could always have hot water when needed. They didn't have a stove either for a time while they built their house.

Did you ever see The Firm? The scene where Holly Hunter's character is introduced she's heating up a cup of coffee with a submergable coil thingy that plugs into a wall socket. No idea what they're called but I remember my mom and grandma both using them for their afternoon coffee breaks pre-microwaves. Possible they make something similar but on a bigger scale??

·
Premium Member
41,003 Posts
Go down to the feed store and pick up one of those galvanize steel water troughs, they are a couple feet deep and about 5 or 6 feet long, set it on a couple cement blocks and build a small fire under it. Ideally you want to have a small spring fed water fall to stick one end of it under for filling. I used that system the first year I lived in Ky. It worked wonderfully!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go down to the feed store and pick up one of those galvanize steel water troughs, they are a couple feet deep and about 5 or 6 feet long, set it on a couple cement blocks and build a small fire under it. Ideally you want to have a small spring fed water fall to stick one end of it under for filling. I used that system the first year I lived in Ky. It worked wonderfully!
I'd love to do that but I live in town right now (which is also why I'm not opting for solar at the moment---solar is now taxed in this state :awh: ), so the solution needs to be something I can do inside and preferably in the bathtub.

I was hoping someone here had used some kind of submersible water heater before so they could tell me how it worked. But maybe not ...

·
Premium Member
41,003 Posts
I'd love to do that but I live in town right now (which is also why I'm not opting for solar at the moment---solar is now taxed in this state :awh: ), so the solution needs to be something I can do inside and preferably in the bathtub.

I was hoping someone here had used some kind of submersible water heater before so they could tell me how it worked. But maybe not ...
Again you answer may be at the feed store... I have used what is called a "duck" in my water tanks to keep them from freezing. Its just a heating element that floats on top of the water and heats it enough to keep from freezing. They are controlled by a thermostat, but dont recall how hot you can set them. That might be something to look into.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been looking at them and think they might work---I've even been reading about their success in bathtubs on amazon.com!

Not 100% convinced yet, but getting there.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I've been looking at them and think they might work---I've even been reading about their success in bathtubs on amazon.com!

Not 100% convinced yet, but getting there.
You could try a submersible stock tank heater like this one. It says bucket heater but comments indicate it can be used in stock tanks and ponds and will heat 90 gallons of water up to 150 degrees:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/allied-precision-bucket-heater-1000-w

This Allied Precision Bucket Heater is designed to heat water as opposed to de-icing water. A stainless-steel guard protects the durable heating element that will heat water past 150°F towards boiling, depending on the bucket's volume and insulation. It comes with a 6 ft. cord and is designed to rest easily inside a 5 gal. bucket. The heater is thermostatically controlled with over-temperature protection.
  • For use in water only
  • 1000 watts
  • 19 in. x 3 in. x 3 in.
  • 1 year limited warranty

·
Super Moderator
13,672 Posts
When my water heater died and my maintenance man couldn't get to it for a week or so I just put two of my crock pots in the bathroom to heat a couple of gallons of hot water for my bath and then refilled one to heat as I was bathing to use for my shaving after my warm shallow tub bath.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone! I was looking at Pauman's suggestion earlier this evening and it seemed the best option then and an even better one now.

I'm going to sleep on it, but tonight, looks like that's the way I'm going until I get a few other pricey things (i.e. car in the shop and new tires) taken care of.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I have used a 55 gallon black barrel with black hose and 12 volt pump on timer. Had it set to run every 15 minutes for 5 minutes. Had a small solar charger for the battery. Water would be to hot to use unless tempered.

Soda bottles in the yard will get warm water, 1.50 can of black spray paint helps raise that temp.

Those hang up solar showers work great as well. Couple of hours in a table or ground in the back yard and shower ready.

If you are looking for the quick 'electric' fix, then I think you have it figured out.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
I have used a 55 gallon black barrel with black hose and 12 volt pump on timer. Had it set to run every 15 minutes for 5 minutes. Had a small solar charger for the battery. Water would be to hot to use unless tempered.

Soda bottles in the yard will get warm water, 1.50 can of black spray paint helps raise that temp.

Those hang up solar showers work great as well. Couple of hours in a table or ground in the back yard and shower ready.

If you are looking for the quick 'electric' fix, then I think you have it figured out.
I did this too. take a topless barrel and paint the inside and outside black make a "J" shaped pipe to hang on the side and connect to the hose, put a clear plastic or glass cover over the top. when the barrel is full it will be easy to start the siphon , have a good nossel /shutoff valve on the bottom so you can regulate how much hot water you use. If you add a "T" and a connection to a faucet you can fill and drain from the same hose.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Solar HOT WATER is taxed ? What State ? I find that hard to believe. Why would they tax solar versus electric or gas water heaters ? I think you are misinformed.
This was proposed last year in AZ not sure if it has passed yet but if one is trying to do others may have already set this in motion.

The proposal would slap existing solar-paneled homeowners with a fee of up to $100 per month for the privilege of selling excess power back to APS

1 - 20 of 72 Posts