Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to heat a plastic 55 gallon barrel of water, laying on it's side. So far, I've come up with...

Cut a hole in the side of the barrel and put a regular tank heater in there. I don't really want to cut the barrel

Try a heat lamp under the barrel. I don't know if that will work.

Try a submersible aquarium heater stunk through the hole in the barrel. Aquarium heaters are designed to keep fish tanks at 78 degrees, so I'm figuring that one should keep a barrel in a barn at 40 degrees?? Anyone tried that? Anyone know more about aquarium heaters than me?

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Jena

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry for neglecting to mention what I'm trying to do...

I'm trying to winterize my automatic chicken watering system.

I like the water bed heater idea. I think I even have one in the garage somewhere...

The barrel heaters are very expensive.

Thanks
Jena

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Little Quacker in OR said:
Just want to correct a misconception here. Aquarium heaters are NOT designed to 'KEEP" water at any temperature! All they do is to keep the water temperature from dropping too fast and thus lower the resistance of the fish to disease. They break easily too. They should be used with constant supervision and caution. LQ
Thanks. I didn't think it was a good idea (that's why I asked). I know nothing about aquarium heaters.

Jena

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.