Heater in ford taurus not heating

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by countrysmiths, Nov 17, 2006.

1. countrysmiths

countrysmiths Member

I need some help with a heat problem. The hoses going into and out of the heater core feel almost cold to the touch. I thought at first the heater core was plugged but after disconecting them and putting the garden hose on them water runs thru with no apparent problem. Very Hot water comes out of the hoses when they are disconnected. but when I reconect them still no heat and they are not "Hot" like the other hoses that ciculate the water.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

You wouldn't have happened to have just recently flushed your cooling system, have you?

3. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a new thermostat.....

4. countrysmiths

countrysmiths Member

Yes I had just flushed the system.
    mark

5. Cabin Fever

Then, you likely have an airlock in your car's cooling system. In other words, a big bubble is blocking the coolant flow to your heater core. You are going to have to "bleed" your cooling system to purge the air from it.

6. countrysmiths

countrysmiths Member

Sorry about dropping out for a day. Hunting season started saturday here in oklahoma and the car had to wait. How do you bleed the cooling system. Ive bleed the brakes before but never the cooling system. How also do you prevent an air lock in the future if I flush the system

7. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Don't know what year your taurus is, but I just drained and flushed, then put a new thermostat in my wifes '94, and there was no air lock in the system...we've got the 3.8 in it...maybe other engines are different...

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Establish that you have water/coolant flow by removing one of the return hoses at the block, then turn over the engine to see. Not sure which hose would be the 'sending' one, most likely the highest mounted above the water pump.

9. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

Yup. air lock. The good news is that nothing mechanical is wrong. The bad news is sometimes it's a pain to get all the air out. I'm not familiar with your specific car, but I've had good results in the past by just letting a car warm up with the radiator cap off. Revving the engine gently also helps get the water moving. Other option is to fill the heater core manually with water through the heater hoses before you put them back on.

10. countrysmiths

countrysmiths Member

Thanks guys! I messed around with it today a little bit and could not seem to get anywhere with it. Later my wife took it to the store and said it worked. I bet it was an air lock. A friend of mine got a 6 point buck today about 250 yards from the house, so we spent time butchering-I'd rather do that than work on that taurus.

11. Cabin Fever

Oftentimes, vehicles will have a plug at the highest point in the cooling system. This plug is taken out when the system is being filled with new coolant. I'm not sure if a Tarus has one or these plugs or vents.

One way of burbing a cooling system is to jack the front end of the vehicle as high as you can get it or to park it on a steep slope. Make sure the heater is set to full heat. Remove the radiator cap and start the engine. Rev the engine every few seconds as it runs. You might have to remove some coolant so it doesn't overflow while you do this. Continue until you feel heat coming thru the inside air vents.

12. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks CF, this happened to me last night. (cold ride to and from work LOL). Anyway I remembered this thread and looked it up. I pulled up the hill and did as you said. It did the trick. Again, thanks!