"Heat waves to worsen across America, Europe"

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primroselane, Aug 14, 2004.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Heat waves like those that have hit Paris and Chicago in recent years are likely to get worse, roasting more and more cities with ever-higher temperatures, climate researchers predicted on Thursday.

While some may like it hot, the forecast means misery for many, and hotter weather can affect crops, drive up fuel prices and can kill the old and weak. The heat wave that hit France a year ago killed an estimated 15,000 people.

A similar heat wave that hit the U.S. Midwest last year damaged the corn and soy crops, and 739 people died in a head wave that broiled Chicago in 1995.

Using a new computer model that takes into account increasing levels of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, Gerald Meehl and Claudia Tebaldi of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, found heat waves might become more common as global warming heats the Earth.

Writing in the journal Science, they said they tried to see if other pollutants such as sulfur dioxide might reflect sunlight away from the planet and perhaps offset some of the heat-trapping properties of carbon dioxide. But their model shows no such effects.

Regions already prone to heat waves, such as the U.S. Midwest and Southeast and Europe's Mediterranean areas, will suffer even more, and longer, the model predicts.

The average Paris heat wave lasting eight to 13 days, they predict, will last 11 to 17 days. In Chicago, heat waves will last on average a day longer, from eight days to nine days, and there will be two a year by 2080 instead of about one.

"But other areas (e.g. northwest United States, France, Germany and the Balkans) could see increases of heat wave intensity that could have more serious impacts because these areas are not currently as well adapted to heat waves," the researchers wrote.

Maybe so, but these heat waves are going to have to work their way in between cold fronts

2. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

Sorry Im not buying it. We are on track for the coldest august on record here in the upper midwest.

3. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

KRM:

I think you have it right.

Only if you have a perceived problem do you get government funding. I think the problem is related to funding more than to reality. If you whine long enough you get federal money, if not you are on your own.

4. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is anyone who take these guys seriously? I have seen it go from dire warnings about global warming, to global cooling and now back to global warming. Give me some of the warmth please.......still waiting for tomatoes to ripen in the record cold we are experiencing. Oh yeah......some say the cold is related to the global warming.......huh??? :no:

5. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I will take a heat wave. I woke up to 50 degrees this morning :(

6. Very cool spring, now record lows day after day here in August in the upper midwest.

Their try at getting a good govt grant hit poor timing.

About all there is to this report - show me the free money! :)

This earth's climate goes through real swings & cycles. Worthwhile to study it, but dire proclimations about thousands dying really turns me off - just a couple of fools looking for money & 15 minutes of fame - no science there. The cold weather 'records' that are being broken this month are up to 160 years old - on a planet that has had life on it for several millions of years?

Hurmph.

--->Paul

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

If you use your computer and read posts on here most are talking about COLDER than normal weather. It's been too cold here to use the pool this weekend which is crazy for early August. I think they're peeing on somebodies shoes and trying to convince them it's raining.

8. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

This is one of the best summers we've had. Lots of rain, nice and cool, cloudy most of the day, etc.

I can only hope it leads to a load of snow this coming winter...

9. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

Coldest August on record here...record breaking lows a day ago. Been wondering if I am still in Texas? :haha:

Studies that I have read show these weather patterns to be cyclical...course, nobody to blame and nothing to be gained from that conclusion...

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Sixties tonight here in western OK. REALLY WARM!!!!! If you say 'the sky is falling' often enough, long enough, can you get everybody to look up? Or will they just tell you that you're squirrelly?

11. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Its playing ostrich to think that global warming is all about getting money. The earth is warming, look at the satellite photos of the PERMANENT icecaps at both poles. They are shrinking rapidly. Tell the people desperately shoring up the atolls and islands in the south and central Pacific ocean that its just about money. Look at the rapidly retreating glaciers everywhere. Just because the midwest is having a cool summer THIS year does not invalidate all the data pointing to global warming. In the Pacific Northwest we are experiencing increasingly hotter and drier summers, but the real danger we face is the decreased snow we are getting in the winter. We talk alot about all the rain we get here, but what we depend upon is the winter snowpack. This year we have lucked out by the cool wet weather we have gotten every three or four weeks. Otherwise we would be in real trouble because our diminished snowpack melted early in a way above normal warm spring.
    Over the long haul global warming is here and we need to come to terms with it and search for solutions to all the problems it will cause.

12. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

What solutions?

13. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

How to deal with rising sea levels. How to deal with increased desertification. How to deal with changed rainfall patterns. How to deal with more severe weather. The simplest solution, advocated by the Bush administration, is to ignore it all. To quote my favorite line from "The Last Starfighter": What do we do now? We die.

14. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

muhahaha! good laugh, the Bible(eeek he reads that!) says in the last days the earth will warm up.

BTW so I'm wondering when they'll start saying were in another Ice Age.....?

15. KRH

KRH Resident Wino

Oilpatch197,
    Actualy I saw a documentary a year or so ago that stated that very thing. I dont remember the name of it .But it was hosted by Leonard Nimoy and talked about how we are on the verge of a new iceage. So whose right? The answer is. WE will never know. Cause none of us will be around that long.

16. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

As usual, the doomsday parade marches into town. Hate to be the one who pops the balloons but it has been found that in past years, “tropical” rainforests have stretched as far north as Virginia state. Yes we are on a warm peak BUT it has been much warmer in the past WITH faster changes and wider variants in temperature.

“But the ice caps are melting…”

Large marsupial fossils have been found on Antarctica. Erase any doubts about floating from Australia, we are talking a sustaining population of fossils.

Area climates can change for a multitude of reasons having nothing to do with humans. Most people assume the Egyptians set up camp in a sandy wasteland because well, that is how it looks today. In actuality, the Giza area use to be an oases of fertile land with many trees and fruit. Wow, that area turned desert long before anyone turned a key to a car.

17. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Well I don't know about climate change, I'm not a scientist, but I can say it is definately the coldest summer here for at least ten years. I'm worried that there might be frost very soon, I'm waking up to temps of 39 dergrees farenheight! brrrrrr! Thats way to cold for August :waa:

18. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone heard of the sun??? Last I read was that the sun has been in one of the warmest periods in recorded history. Man is responsible for that too. If only ALGORE had been elected it would not have happened. Down with Bush he causes all of our problems.

19. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

We've had the coolest, wettest July & August here in central OK that I can remember in the 37 years that I have lived here. It's raining right now. Our usual weather at this time of the year is hot & dry... very hot & very dry. The grass has usually quit growing by now, & is turning brown, but this year I'm mowing twice a week! I think that we haven't been studying weather patterns long enough to know any more about them than that they will change for no apparent reason.Maybe with intense study we will know more... in about 100 years.

20. charles

charles Well-Known Member

It's playing hear no evil, see no evil to think that the global warming chant is NOT about getting money. I've been in the profession that does this type of thing.

"the model predicts" That's the neat trick about models and equations. Insert any fairytale premise in them and you can get any solution you want.