Heat treating colostrum

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Eveningstar, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Eveningstar

Eveningstar Active Member

Procedures please on how to correctly heat treat colostrum. I'll be starting on a CAE prevention program next year and am concerned about the kids getting the first colostrum since they can't stay on the does. When I tried heat treating the first time, it turned thick and rubbery. I imagine that meant I heated it too much or for too long. I did this on the stove as I don't have a pasturizer.
    Elizabeth

2. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

Use a double boiler to heat treat colostrum. It keeps it from scorching and is less likely to turn to custard.

Heat it to 135 degrees VERY SLOWLY, heat it to this temp over half an hour is about right. if you don't it will turn to custard. It is very finiky stuff.

Once you get it there have some thermoses peheated to a little hotter than 135 degrees with water. Pour out the water and pour the colostrun in. close them tightly and wrap with dish towel. hold the colostrum at 135 for one hour. Then it is heat treated.

Colostrum is a pain in the butt but worth the results! You can buy a dual function pasturizer that can do either milk or colostrum but they run about $350-$400.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

For doing small batches one of those Presto Multi Cookers you get at Wallmart work really well. Fill it with water and heat the water to just under 140 degrees, make a mark on the dial so you know where this number is, use a cheap candy thermometer to double check always, in fact I tape two together so I know if one is off that something is wrong. Now pour your colostrum into a quart zip lock and place in the hot water, when the water returns to just under 140, start your timer for 1 hour, plus you can freeze it in the same ziplock!

I do several gallons at a time in the big stock pot nesting kettles from Sams, set up as a double boiler, doing it in large batches is of course much easier than small batches. But when I do small batches in a pinch I use my glass double boiler I use for making candy, it is one of those things that you have to have an hour to do, no kids, no distrations!

No matter which way you choose you want the colostrum at no lower than 135 and no higher than 140 for 1 hour. If you turn it into an eraser throw it away, the absorbable antibody is gone, you can not thin it out with milk and make it useful again! Vicki