Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wrangler's Roost
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost all 4 of my does to heat this weekend 2 of them was bred an due to kindle in a couple of days the other 2 was not all of them had plenty of water an ice bottles in their cages but it was 110 on the bank thermometer here this weekend an did not have any air flow moving at all ..........I was away Sun an most of today an come home to find out lost 2 Sunday an 2 today ............not sure what else could of done for them an feel really bad that they went that way an was strange I only lost my does I have a cage full of fryers past time to butcher that is doing fine an my bucks are good too .........guess now is the time to find my Californians I am wanting since all my does are gone now........... :Bawling:

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Frenchy and Cricket, I feel for both of you. The heat has been terrible in so many places this summer. I can't even imagine what 110 degrees feels like.

Cricket is right that more air flow would help. You might also hang wet burlap with the bottom edge in a tray of water. As they fan evaporates the water, the surrounding air is cooled. Works best in hot dry areas.

I'm so sorry for your losses and hope you manage to find a good solution to keeping the rabbits cool.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Ouch, that is a hard blow. I'm so sorry.

You're taking as positive an outlook as you can, though, looking forward to getting Californians.

We had a great break from the heat last night - got down to 55F! What a relief after mid 90's in the daytime. Hopefully you'll get some respite, too.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,668 Posts
So sorry for your loss, Frenchy. This heat is, literally, a killer. So far, so good here. No losses yet, and the heat's been BAD. I don't do any summertime breeding at all because of the heat. Will start again around October.

Hope you find Californians you really, really like.

NeHi

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have been keeping cold water for my rabbits to drink. I have fans going and it has been over 100 for 4 days now. I began noticing that a few of my rabbits liked the water from the hose when I filled bottles. So now when I go around and fill bottles I offer the water to the rabbits to see if they want to be sprayed lightly. Some of them don't but alot of them just lay there and let me spray them. Or they will roll over to get the spots that I missed. They didn't like the first time but now they follow the hose when I come and wait for me to spray them. Everyone but the angoras anyway. I guess whatever works. The combination of wet rabbit and fans has been a good one for us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.