heat sealing plastic

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Smelt, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Smelt

Smelt Active Member

Why is it I have my goofy ideas at 3 in the morning? :p

I woke up thinking of making custom tarps/wrappings for stuff to be stored outside during the winter. I've seen boat's wrapped in heat shrunk plastic and wondered if I could do the same on the farm. I'm sure the plastic used is some sort of special stuff, but could one do a crude version of same with 4 or 6 mil clear or black building plastic (Visqueen)? If not, what about at least heat joining two pieces together? Then, a custom tailored "garment" could be made for each piece of machinery.

Just wondering...

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Seems like a pretty good idea on the surface. A person could even place a regular tarp of their choice in place, then wrap regular pallet shrink wrap around it to hold it in place.

On the other hand metal goes through heating and cooling cycles from the normal weather temperature variation. This produces condensation, i.e. moisture. If plastic is covering the item then there would be no means available for evaporation, hence rust or other moisture damage.

Covered items also attract mice which can readily do damage.

While you have a good idea I'm not sure about the end results.

3. Smelt

Smelt Active Member

Bravo...point well made!

I'll go back to sleep now. :p

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

They wrap boats for teh winter in White plastic here. I assume its the same or very similar to t he stuff they wrap round bales with, stretchy and cling wrap.