Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay-- I have just abut decided NOT to buy any rabbits unless I know they were raised or are otherwise used to being OUTSIDE!!! I Lost a nice Rex today-- one I got at the poultry swap--to heat-- :Bawling: It was perfectly fne at 9:30 when I fed and watered the bunch. Then, abut an hour later, Connor let me know 'something' wasn't right, and I left my task of getting my truck ready for todays rabbit pickup-- to find out what the matter was-- the 'classic" blue colored rabbit was prostrate and VERY limp. I applied ice to it's underside, along it's ears-- even used a syringe and got cool water into its tummy. Poor thing perked up, I put it in the barn cage, and wrapped it around a bucket of ice. About an hour later-- it looked like it was gonna make it-- Laying in a 'normal' position. Well, he didn't make it. At 2:00 I was burying a bunny.

I am not sure if it was this fella's dark coloring, the way it was raised ( about three months old) or if there was some other factor that may have contributed to his demise. I just know that now I don't have the classic colored rex to use over other does. I will have to keep the broken buck I have and hope that maybe he produces a solid blue baby in the next couple litters.

sigh--

off to pick up 27 Amchins--

·
talk little, listen much
1,696 Posts
hi - hind sight is always 20/20....

next time... when temps get into the high eighties or forecast for high humidity, put frozen water bottles in with the rabbits, hang a burlap or light sheet infront of a fan with the bottom of the material in a bucket of water, when all else fails - bring them down to your basement and let them hang out during the heat of the day and put them back out at night.
every rabbit reacts differently to heat - but they all dehydrate quickly and need extra water and foods heavy in water to get them thru.
sorry about your loss - i lost a rabbit today too - :flame: stupid bunny, had a big boyfriend... wouldn't leave him alone... but thats another story.

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunesately-- the property has insufficient electric to make frozen water bottles, use fans, etc-- The guy I got the Amchins from lost one , as well-- so I only brought home 26-- The new cae arrangement should help with heat issues, though--they seem to do better when there is air circulation underneath them---

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
What do you have them in? I actaully found that spraying down the EZ up helped drop the temp at least 7 degrees here, plus it stayed that way for at least 20 min or so. I really seemed to help on the day we had over 95 and humid. I know its rough, Ive lost some too. You have to think that Nature is culling to your envionment though. I know I don't really want a rabbit I have to coddle everytime it gets over 80 here!

Dawn

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my neighbor told me to use her pavilion freezer to make ice bottles-- it has to run anyway-- so may as well be full to make it more efficient.

And I got plugs for the water storage tank I got from an old travel trailer-- so it is ready to fill with a large amount of water, that again, I can get from the well at my neighbor's pavilion.

Now, that run-a-way kit---

Terry W

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.