Heat mats for seedlings....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

They are too high-priced in the catalogs so decided to use a thermometer and see what my personal hot pads were last year....had two and both ran around 86 degrees on low,100 or so on med. so we used these for germinating peppers mainly as they are so slow....they worked great. Rubber coated but we'd water and let flats drain throughly just in case. Are UL listed...they also work well for sprouting seeds in the house.....we tend to keep our house cooler than many people do and things need a touch more heat. Most plants can grow on at lower temps than they need to germinate anyhow. Our friend who has a commercial greenhouse has a tiny germinating room he keeps super hot and then moves the plants out to the main house...think we will double plastic this greenhouse this year when we build our bigger one and use it for that. DEE

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Farmtek has the mats for $23.95 or within cents, and Charleys has the same ones for $29. Shipping on top of both. These are the 17 watt units.

3. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I'm going to use my crock pot. Set the temp on low, put a big cookie sheet, etc. over the top, put the seed trays on the sheet, cover with plastic -- it seems to warm up nicely. Maybe fill pot with water for more heat volume?

4. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

I was thinking light bulbs might work.

5. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Keep your eyes open for free waterbed heaters. They work great and have more coverage.

Kathy

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Mutti....what are personal hot pads? Electric?

7. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    kitty32... you can use waterbed heater for a seedling heat mat? Don't they get too hot? Is there anything I might need to know to use one for this purpose? I'm kinda excited about the prospect of using one, since I have two extras, and I was wanting to start a bunch pepper plants at home this year.

-Barb in Montana

8. cheryl-tx

cheryl-tx Well-Known Member

I like the crock pot idea, may try that next. I just use heating pads set on lowest temp, my bell peppers sprouted yesterday. I did the same with the cukes, tomatoes and okra. My kitchen has been a mess, have seeds sowing everywhere, even on top of stove so they get the light from the vent hood. Nothing fancy here, just eyeballing everything and experimenting each year.

Cheryl