heat hurting, killing my animals

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BamaSuzy, Aug 2, 2004.

1. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

For some reason this Alabama heat is far worse on my animals than ever before....I almost lost a part-angora bunny yesterday (his hair is fairly short but he was wet all around his mouth and head. I took him to my mama's cooler screened in porch for a while until he recovered). I lost one of my older laying hens early this morning. She was basically dead last night.

I have four fans in the bunny barn and give each of the 22 an bottle of frozen water to lay against about mid day.

The chickens can get in the shade. The goats can get in the shade.

But it is just so hard on them this year. We are in north Central Alabama. I don't know if it's because the humidity is higher this year or what. Any other suggestions????
    I want to insulate the bunny barn roof but I'm not tall enough to stape the insulation up....so working on getting some help with that.

2. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Oh----we have no air conditioning in our house either and it seems the heat is harder on us this summer also.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

We use water misters that come on a roll of tubing,but not sure if that would help if its humid?But wet em down a smidge?Dont really know though,just a thought
    BooBoo

4. Tractorman

Tractorman Well-Known Member

Hey I'm just a bit north of you and the heat/humidity is horrible! But my animals seem to be making it better than I am. I have one angora in a hutch with no fan or anything and he is doing fine. My wife is 8 months pregnant so you can hang meat in our house most of the time she could not make it without a/c!

5. South of Forty

South of Forty Active Member

Im in SE NC and the humidity this summer has been really bad at times. Even when the temp doesnt get over 90 degrees the humidity has made it stiffling. You may want to check in on the misters- I have heard that the big industrial chicken and hog producers use them when it gets too hot. There is an outfit in Califronia I buy irrigation supplies from that has them.

www.dripworks.com

Otherwise it sounds like youre doing what I'd be trying. Sorry about your old hen. Plenty of cool water may also help. My wife brings old fruit home from work at a restaurant and we keep it cool and feed it to the chickens during the heat of the day. It seems to help too.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Put a water sprinkler on the bunny barn roof, run it about 5 minutes per hour, this will help with removeing the heat, especually if its metal material.

7. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Suzy ,
    Did you turn on the misters in your rabbitry? All the rabbit raisers here use water misters on the rabbitry roof and ventilation fans in the side walls with misters to keep it cool.

8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have seen farmers set up sprinklers so that the water goes into the cattle pen. Every now and then, they turn the hose onto the less-dominant cows so that they can get wet, too.

9. diane

diane Well-Known Member

My husband thought I was a bit touched when the temperature went over 100 degrees here years back. I went out every hour and sprayed down the tin roof of the rabbit and chicken coops. Never lost a bunny or a hen. It really does lower the temperature. Fans moving air across milk jugs of frozen water also will give an air conditioned effect.

10. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Try ice in the water bowls or partially frozen blocks of ice that will melt yet stay cool for a long while. For our dogs we freeze treats in a dedicated ice cube tray (its a different color so we don't use it for humans!). Our chickens always liked iced water in their water containers.

Try 'double shade' where you have a shade blocker above the roof. I have used a tarp. It seems to cut the direct heat and allows a space (several feet of air if you can) to disperse the worst of the heat. The animals are then under the bottom roof which doesn't get as hot as if it were the only roof.

Clean any screened areas well. Dirt and debris will easily slow a breeze down in a coop.

Allow for dug out areas animals can 'waller' in. Make them yourself if you need to. Use a shallow pan or tub or children's pool. Put only an inch or two with ice in a very shallow one for non-swimmers. Add a few rocks to sit on.

You're doing great. Hang in there.

11. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

It's been horrible down here on the coast. I am flat tired of being hot. I am so ready to move to a nrthern area. But the wife refuses.

We broke down and bought a small window AC for the kitchen, to help cool it during cooking in the evenings. Plus to help cool down the front half of the house. It is actually helping quite a bit. At least the main AC cuts off in the afternoons now. Best $70 we ever spent.

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Bout those little window A/Cs,we have one in bedroom,works great.We also would put burlap bags over the window openings where we kept our rabbits,and wet them hourly when really hot,worked great in hot/dry Calif.
    BooBoo

13. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Burlap and soaker hose on, barely, once it's wet. A guy used to do that in his little rabbitry to keep his buck's below 85 degrees (to breed year round)!! That and a swamp cooler were all he used BUT... it was very small/close quarters. He had it all built up on his privacy fence as the back wall and walk space and the cages on the other side two or three high and about 15 ft. in lenth!!

(It was in Texas.. East part of Dallas.. Garland) He also used old (free) oil bottles he'd get from the quick lube places, to put frozen water in to put in the cages.

It also would not hurt a bit to clip that angora down to the skin! (stay in shade, tho!! :eek:

14. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

If you only have a few bunnies you might bring them in for the heat of the day. That's what I've done before. Leave them out until 10 or 11am, then bring them in until evening. (Mine sat around in the big kitchen in muck buckets.) If they only have feed and water while they are at the barn, this timing keeps their buckets in the house pretty clean.
    This, of course, assumes that the house is cooler ;) If you can't afford a window air conditioner, you should at least get a little water cooler for yourself. If you can at least keep one room kinda cool, you'll all be better off.
    mary

15. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I had to give up raising rabbits. Despite a nice airy barn under a big shady oak, the ice blocks, etc., it's just too hot here with the 115 plus heat idex we get sometimes. My rabbits didn't die, but I felt it was cruel to raise them here. It was over 100 today on the thermomerter and my horses were soaking in sweat standing still. My faithful milk goats are still doing their jobs, how, I don't know, and so far I haven't lost a chicken. Make sure you and your animals have proper mineral intake and WATER, WATER, WATER!