Heat Detection?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JulieLou42, Jan 15, 2007.

1. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Ever since Ginger had this last bull calf in July, as far as I can tell, she's only come into heat once, which is marked on my calendar.

This bull/steer was always trying to jump her whether in heat or not, I mean every day. The horniest little thing you ever did see!!! Even after he was steered, tho' I've not noticed much of that going on lately. Her first bull we raised with her two years ago wasn't nearly so horny.

She's six on the 22nd, and this is her fourth bull calf. She's still letting him nurse, but expect that she'll wean him anytime now.

She was so obvious with her other heats, and very NOISEY about it, calling all the local bulls. Now she's so quiet, I don't even know if or when she is in heat.

I was hoping to have her bred back by last month. Not wanting a late fall calf. If she doesn't come 'round this month, I'll have to make her wait till Sept. for a June calf, so as to avoid our rainy MESSY season.

Far as I know, there aren't any dairy bulls around here.

2. randiliana

randiliana Guest

Was she with a bull, or a steer just a calf or something older?? You aren't clear on that. When did she come into heat? I am guessing that the heat you saw was within a month of her calving?? It is possible that she is bred to that heat if she was with a bull, whether it is her son or not, and theoretically a bull calf might be able to breed at 6 months or so. The other option is that she has some sort of infection or possibly cystic ovaries or something of the kind.

3. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

She's only been with her bull calf/steer, that's now 6 months old. Nothing else. He's too little to mount her, even at this age.

[I once had a 3 year old Brown Swiss that was somewhat taller than the 18 mo. old Holstein bull we were trying to breed her to, and he couldn't do it, just kept sliding off her back. We ended up digging four holes for her hooves in the hardpan clay with a pick axe after dark, with the cow tied close into the corner of his bullpen. That worked, after we got her down to his height! I WISH I had pictures of that event.]

Her heat was visible -- she tried mounting her little bull and did her usual bellowing -- at about two months after dropping him.

She seems to be in excellent health, and her condition appears good.

Could it be because I've cut back on her grain and alfalfa?

4. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I've noticed on my cows that I normally see the first heat after calving, but have to really watch after that or I can miss them. Even when I have a steer in with them, I never see them in heat when I'm feeding since they have their minds on eating. Winter it is especially hard to observe since its dark in the morning, 6 am is the best time to observe a morning heat.

Bobg

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

If they were trying to jump her everyday, chances are she could be cystic. I have a cow, that is a beef cow. She is cystic and chances are, she has gone beyond the point where she can recover from it. She is always in heat, she growls at times. This isn't uncommon if an animal is let beyond the point, as far as being cystic. However if she isn't being jumped at the moment, perhaps she is bred, or she is cystic and is silent. Some cows I have also seen quiet, they dont show any signs, they simply do what they do, then bleed out, which can be aggrivating, considering you know, you just missed a heat.

One option, is to have her examined by a vet. See if she is cystic, if not, perhaps he might either find a calf, or he will find a Corpus Luteum (CL). This is what I would do, if I am questioning things.

Jeff