heat detection--and pregnancy-and discharge

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Oct 31, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Oue buck should be coming next weekend--but I am having trouble telling when the does are in heat. When we milked it was easy because the milk tasted bad--but now I have no idea! I see two of my doelings ride each other--but as for the other ones...??? They are always loud! so that doesn't tell me anything! Should I just expose them to the buck and see what happens? How will they act together if she is in heat--or isn't? This is our 1st year w/ breeding--so I am not quite sure what to expect..

Also--our nubian that we just got was exposed to their nubian buck in mid september. Is the any way to tell if she really is bred? Can I periodically put her in w/ buck and see how they act?

One more:) The nubian that is supose to be bred had a small bit of vaginal discharge the day that I got her..any thoughts? And one of my doeling had a lt of white discharge a few days ago. I haven't seen that on any of the other ones...

Thanks!

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Some have the white discharge around the time they are in heat. It also might appear off and on the last few weeks of pregnancy.

Here's what has worked well for me. Put the buck in with the does overnight or for the day. Remove him, and the next week all the does come in heat. :)
    If the pens are adjacent, they will let you know by going over to the fence and teasing the buck. Then you let them in one at a time, and write down the dates.

mary

3. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

4. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

We have our does that we want to breed in an adjacent pen; when they come into heat we see the "hoochie hustle" as they flag their tails and RUUUUUUUB alongside the fence, just being absolutely OBVIOUS hussies. Then they get to visit the buck for a night or two then back into the adjacent pen for 21-30 days just to be sure they don't come back in heat. I had 3 does come into a strong heat 3-5 days after breeding and rebred them. Wrote both days down just in case.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

My advice to new folks is to pen breed. It's October, on your breeding calander you should have heats recorded from August through October, if you don't than you are having trouble tracking heats, so let the buck do it for you. Put him in with the does, let him breed them, keep him in with them for 21 days...what you find is that they are very different animals left in with the does, they stop perfuming themselves, they are much easier on your fences. And there is nothing more awful than a buck living by himself, he could eaisly stay with the girls all winter, taking him out a few weeks before the first doe is due.

By next year you will have all this down, seeing breeding and the routine your buck does with each doe in succession will teach you more than us explainging it. Plus each doe is different, keep notes, some does swell in the vagina, others have discharge, others have nothing, some scream for the buck, some onlybreed at night...so keep notes and check under the girls tails daily. Even if you don't see the actual breeding you will see the semen stuck to the tail and hair around the vulva.

Good luck with this and have fun.

We have the blood test info, which is on sale right now, for confirming the pregnancy in your doe, or not.....at dairygoatinfo.com And it won't hurt her to be put in the pen with the buck with all he friends, bred or not. Vicki

6. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Vicki are you saying their is a blood test available to tell if a doe is pregnant or not? Do you do this through your vet? or does it need to be sent out?

7. Bluebutterfly

Bluebutterfly Well-Known Member

8. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder