heat cycles

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Patty0315, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

When will sheep stop going into heat ? Can they be brought into heat with drugs ?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Some (quite a few) sheep will breed "out of season". No doubt triggered by shorter days ewes will generally breed from September to December fairly reliably. You can use drugs to garuntee a reliable heat cycle and time lambing to the day. The system I am familiar with (and there is at least one other that escapes my memory) uses PMSG to synchronise the ewes, meaning they all cycle at the same time. PMSG is short for Pregnant Mare Serum Gonatropin and is contained in a sponge that is implanted vaginally. After the set time period the sponges are removed and an injection of estrogen is used to actually bring the ewes into heat. Ewes cycle without coming into heat the PMSG just synchronises them. Then with much better than average ram coverage (say 10 /proven mature ram) the ewes will all be bred on that day. Hopefully they do but it does work very well. This system is called "Sponging" in laymans terms. The other system is a feed based if I remember right, but along the same lines.

3. Patty0315

I was asking because I found someone with yearly suffolks and corridale that haven't been bred. They would not be worth it to me to buy them and house them for a year. But they would be worth it if I could breed them now. The one we use with goats and cows start with a l , I cannot remember the name. Does this sound familar.

4. Ross

Lutylace nope wasn't what I was thinking but there ya go it might work too! PMSG and Foligon estrogen is what I have used.

5. Patty0315

6. LeahN

LeahN Well-Known Member

I've heard of people using lutylase but keep in mind that if there is a chance your ewes are pregnant already, its used in aborting fetuses. Its available only with a prescription I believe.

7. Patty0315

Thanks, I already knew it would abort if they were pregnant but the don't have a ram so I am safe.

8. Ross

I asked my vet once about using the PMSG/Foligon on potentially pregnant ewes and he thought it would simply have no effect. I havn't knowingly used on pregnant ewes so can't say for sure.