Heat cycle...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pourfolkes, Jun 1, 2006.

1. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

I am pretty new to this. I have a Lamancha doe, some Alpine/Boer (75%) does, and Nubian does. My youngest doe is about 5 months old (nubian) to adult. I have one buck that is about 2 months old and the others are about 5 or 6 months old. I am just so anxious for them to breed, I can't see straight!! (except for the youngest doe cuz she is so little). Now I am sure that once I have seen them in heat, I will know from then on what to look for, but since I am a novice, I am not sure what to look for. I have read so many different things about when they go into heat and what to look for that I am befuddled. Please tell me what to look for and when this might happen...lol I am driving myself nuts over this... lol I know... patience, right? I live in Mississippi.. hot and humid if that has anything to do with it. Thanks for the advice....

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Although the breeds you have can cycle year around, July through january are the normal times that most goats cycle. They will come into "heat" every 21 days. The girls will flag or wave their tails, become more vocal. get a "crush" on the bucks (seem to want his attention), their vulvas may slightly swell and turn pink with a very slight discharge. Sometimes the signs are very subtle. But the buck will notice them. The buck will go into rut and start o stink really bad. Younger bucks will not smell so bad and may not go into a noticeable rut and will breed anyway. Also, the buck will "blubber" with his lips. Can't miss that. Write down anything noticeable for each doe on the calendar if you think the doe got bred so you can figure out the due date (150 days, plus or minus 5 days), you want to be able to attend the birth.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Also, the younger doe will get bred if you do not remove her.