Heat bulb - dimmer?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Stephen in SOKY, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

In my current application (Brooding chicks) I can't raise the bulb to moderate the heat, although I have ample height to ensure safety. Is there any reason I can't regulate a regular 250W heat bulb just like any other bulb with a dimmer switch? Thanks!

2. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

The starting current draw will be a little higher than the run (illuminated) load. A heavy duty dimmer rated well above your bulbs wattage should work.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

You can readily get dimmer switches up to 600W rating. Can be a bit pricy. Could try the more common 300W rated ones and see how that works, should be cheaper.

After all that is all we do in the typical application in a bath room that has heat lamps built into the ceiling. Mine is a 250W bulb and the variable control built for the application is rated at just 300W. Zero problems works just fine.

4. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

You can buy a heat only thermostat. Mount the thermostat in such a position that it will give the desired temp when the heat bulb is on. Mount a smaller light that will stay on all the time. You will be able to adjust the temp very easy. A heat only thermostat does not cost very much and has a wide enough range for the adjustment of temp needed.

5. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member