heat and cramps in calfs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Deb&Al, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

i generally drink lots and lots of water in this kind of heat and two or three times a day take 2-4 swallows from a quart jar of water with 3 tsp braggs cider vinegar and 1 tbls blackstrap molasses. over the course of the day the quart is drank, and during the day i probably drink about a gallon of water.

for the past two days i've had really aching calves, and elevating my legs only seems to help sporadially and the aching comes back.

we don't use ac and do use ceiling fans and window fans.

this is what i'm hoping someone knows...i read somewhere today while trying to do some research on this topic that the body needs to be alkanized and that there are certain foods that make your body more acidic.

have i brought this on with the water/vinegar/molasses?

should i come up with another drink in addition to the water? i was looking at receipes for making your own gaterade, and see that it's just water, fruit juice and salt.

anybody have any experience with this? homemade recipes for beating the heat drinks?

thanks, debbie

2. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I drink Gatorade and it keeps leg cramps away for me. I used to get them really bad and my Dr told me it is an electrolyte imbalance that causes those cramps.

3. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

Yes crystalniche is right, drink Gatorade. Your losing too many electrolytes and you need to replenish them. I get cramps a fair bit in the heat, so I drink Gatorade, it helps a lot. I have had bad cramps before, so bad that I could hardly walk, it was pretty scary. Good luck, Chris

4. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

hi cn and cf,
    how much gaterade are you drinking during the day? is it a quart just sipped, in addition to plain water? i would think that a gallon of the stuff a day would be wayyy too much sugar.

thanks for the replies.
    debbie

5. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I am on prednisone now which apparently somehow takes potassium? from your body? Anyway, I was getting a lot of leg cramps but eating a banana every day keeps the leg cramps away with a lot less sugar than gatorade.

6. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

If I get leg cramps its a reminder to drink more milk.

Milk makes the big differemce for me.

My Mom (80) walks 5-6 miles every day---does not drink milk or eat cheese.
    Had lots of leg cramps even tho she took a calcium tablet every day.

She increased it to 2 tablets of calcium every day----has not had a leg cramp since.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I was always told cramps could be avoided with potassium easily obtained from bananas. It seems to work for me although aching legs from standing on concrete floors nothing helps.

8. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Drink some pickle juice. It really helps with leg cramps.

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

i will third POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM.

Only draw back is the mosquitoes like you more... but that's much better than not being able to walk.

10. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

You are loosing Potassium and Magnesium. I am on a diuretic along with my blood pressure pill. If I don't take both Potassium and Magnesium I get leg cramps really bad. I can't even stretch my legs with out getting them. Your body needs the minerals for the muscles. I was also having heart palpations until I started thaking these too supplements.

11. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

In my case, once I started training for Tae Kwon Do, the combination of the hot temps (losing electrolytes through sweating all day and then exercising HEAVILY in the very hot gym at night) conspired to give me bad cramps in my calves and my feet.

I discovered that if I ate foods high in potassium I eliminated the problem completely.

The apple cider vinegar is a good thing, Don't stop that! It is good for what ails you! The blackstrap will fortify you with iron in a natural way!

BUT, do add foods that are high in potassium! Potatoes are very high, bananas, broccoli, dried apricots and others as well. I googled "Potassium levels in foods" and got a good site.

I personally do not drink Gatorade, because it is full of nasty of sugar and chemicals. But if you aren't botheres by that, it will help too. I didn't have a need for it. Potatoes and nanas did it for me!

Here is a link to a great site. Just type in any food and you get a COMPLETE breakdown of the nutrients in it.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/index.html

12. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

She's right--pickle juice and bananas.

13. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Thanks for the website, Jillis! I'll be spending some time there.

Mushrooms raw have 223 mg potassium per cup, and a large potato with skin and salt has 1600 mg.

14. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

UPDATE:
    did not change my vinegar-molasses-water drink, or the gallon of water...see first post.

what i changed, and it WORKED... 3 times a day, when i get up, before lunch, before bed, i eat about a 1/3 measuring cup of dannon plain yogurt and add a small spoon of strawberry preserves.

that terrible ache in my calves is GONE. thanks so much for the information about calcium depletion in hot weather.

debbie