Heartworm & worming LGD's

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by SherrieC, May 21, 2005.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

What do you all use to worm/ heartworm prevention on your LGD's. Some I know use Ivomec, is that safe with gr pry's and anatolian shepards? If you use it what dosage?

2. SherrieC

Oh and what about tick control does that frontline from the Vet's office work on a dog(ticks & fleas) who spends all day in the field?

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a border collie, technically a stalker of livestock, not a protector. I give him black walnut hull tincture, 1 drop for every 2.5 pounds of weight. I get it at the health food store.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Just saw your second question. I don't use anything. If you are concerned, try growing some lavender. Rub the leaves on his coat. Most bugs hate lavender, that's one reason why it was grown in Victorian gardens. If you plant it along one of his paths, he will rub against it everytime he runs by.

5. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I use Heartguard for heartworm prevention and Frontline Plus for flea and tick prevention on my Great Pyr. Both work well. The Heartguard also helps prevent intestinal parasites. It doesn't claim to prevent whipworms, however. If those are a problem you might want to use Interceptor instead.

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i use ivermectin on all the critters, except the cats, and yes one is a pyr. i give it a 1cc/ 75# weight, of the injectable, but i give it orally. it works good, as long as you KNOW you have a negative heart worm test first. also use frontline on everyone.

7. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Actually Interceptor is safe in collies, it's the ivermectin (active ingredient in Heartgard) that causes the problems. BUT, Heartgard has been proven safe to give to collies and collies crosses. You have to REALLY watch out when you try to give them higher doses of Ivermectin.

8. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

9. mawalla

I wrote my reply incorrectly! Heartguard shouldn't be used on the collie breeds but Interceptor can. (Too many late nights lately!) Actually, according to a seminar that I attended, Heartguard is also safe for the collies but because of the Ivermectin most collie owners and vets choose to use something else.

For those who administer drugs to their pets without the advice of a vet, don't. You are at risk of seriously harming them. For example, if you start to dose your adult dog with some Ivermectin that you have around for use on the cows and your dog has Heartworms you might soon be holding a funeral service for him. If your dog is over 6 months old, get a heartworm test done. If he has heartworms the vet will consult with you on the proper treatment.

I'm curious about what the fecal tests show on the dogs that are given the herbals. Do those who give them have fecal tests done and what are the results?

10. marvella

For those who administer drugs to their pets without the advice of a vet, don't. You are at risk of seriously harming them.

this is the reason that some people on this board have some concerns about there being a separate board for dogs. the homestead mindset involves learning to do as much as possible for yourself, and this includes medical care for our animals. unfotunately, as thumper pointed out in recent months, there are now a lot of people on here that don't seem to be interested in learning to do things of a homesteading nature.

please don't take this as a criticism, but it has been a concern of a good number of people on this board.

11. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I have collies and used to give the daily (carbam), until I had 4 dogs test positive for HW one yr. We then used HG on all of them monthly- yes even the HW pos ones as it was a milder treatment and would kill them off slowly. In 3 months 1 HW pos dog went to a new home and though I told them she had HW, when they retested (4 times with different tests as the other vet did not beleive it) they found her to be negative. The moderately affected ones were testing very mild to very mild in 6 mo. We will retest to see if they are now clear, then it is every 6 weeks for all. If you are concerned about having an ivemectin sensitive dog, there is now a test for some breeds that will tell you if they are or not- collies are one. I will say the that some of the problems with giving ivermection to herding breeds is when it is given via the liquid form. It does not suspend well in solution and it is easy to overdose accidentally, also Ivemectin is measured in MCG not MG which can cause confusion and overdosage. If giving Ivermectin to a sensitive breed, it is best to use heartguard or one of the generic forms of it.

12. mawalla

One can still do as much as possible on one's own, Marvella, but when it comes to medical care it is best to consult with a medical expert. Or, one can fish for free advice from the public and get what one pays for - good, bad, interesting, dangerous.

13. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Willowwynd, when I was trying to decide which preventative to use with mine, I read several places that it's not that uncommon for dogs given the daily treatments to show up heartworm positive. I think they think it's because it's so easy to forget a day or to not dose at exactly the same time or whatever. So apparently this happens to a LOT of people.

Odd, isn't it? It's good you found out in time and got them on good treatment. :)

14. SherrieC

Well gals my pup, and house dog have a vet, and been tested and are negative, I would rather just treat them myself with Ivomec to save $$ over the pill. The LGD is Spayed, and they all had they're yearly shots, but they are farm dogs not pets, and I do need to trim corners where I can.

15. marvella

as i said, homesteading is all about learning how to do things for yourself, and this is a homesteading board. it is up to each individual to decide when, and if, they need veterinary care for their animals. there are people on here that do their own c- sections, neutering and necropsies. if you are not comfortable with it, don't do it. if you want to know how to do it, this is SUPPOSED to be the place to come and learn. there are some very knowledgable people on this board who are willing to share what they know. please do not be so judgemental as to inhibit the free flow of imformation.

thanks.

16. mawalla

Humm, Marvella, and what makes you think that I don't do a lot of my own doctoring on my sheep farm? I learned to do a lot of it from veterinarians, the ones for whom I work. I consult with them if there is a problem that I haven't seen before, I get the proper diagnostic tests done when needed, I get proper dosages for meds when I'm unsure ....

Please, don't discount the advice I give to consult professionals or call me judgemental because I do advise to do so. I am entitled to my opinion just as is anyone else on this forum.

17. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I don't use chemical dewormers unless I see harm by the parasite, for heart worm I will use Ivermectin, but I don't worry to much about it. In the book Natural Health for dogs and cats, by Dr. Pitcairn from Rodale press,

Says that a ..."few heart worms are insignificant and may not require treatment"... ( this is basicly true of most parasites if they kill their host they would lose the next generation of offspring, of it is counter productive to the parasite to cause excessive harm to the host, I know death can occure so don't think I am saying it can't)

the book also states (on page 278) that "...25 to 50 percent of dogs in high heartworm areas become immune to the microfilaraia"...and....."Finally, after being infested by a few heartworms, most dogs do not get of them even thoughthey are continually bitten by mosquutoes carrying the parasite."

On a homestead there are lots of options, one I have started is to mix my dog food from grain pellets, I add milk, eggs, kelp, DE, meat sometimes, their poop doesn't smell as bad as commercial dog food, [but it looks alot like canned food when served] it is costing about 1/2 of what the store bought does and the horses, goats and sheep aren't as interested in eating it. another plus is the cracked corn in the pellets passes through to the stool and the chickens clean it up, as quick as they find it, so it isn't laying around to reinfect the dogs, not that they don't get plenty form the wild canines around here.

My dogs aren't really pets, but I do have my favorites. I have a few I truely don't like, but I take good care of them too. Much better than having to live in a concrete floored cage. As for asking a vet for info or to do things you need done, I am all for it. I don't however take the vets word as final, I learn and research, I ask ALOT of different people, and I make the choice, I live with the results.

I also don't belive in "passing the buck" if they aren't worth having, I shoot them, I belive that is much better than passing them off the strangers to live in a cage, and be dragged to the kill room for the needle, mine go on a walk, and while they are sniffing the air or focused on a sound in the grass, they are gone, no vet can do that for them. I don't think there could be a better way to live or die.

18. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

Call me Willow :) It is not always due to not giving it daily, I was excellent at giving it to my dogs every day with thier meal, which is always between 6-8 pm - depending on the season (we feed later in the summer). Sometimes it just doesn't work. Since I knew I was religious about giving it at about the same every day, I was not taking the chance again with it. I do still have some which I use on pups over 10 weeks until they go to thier new homes for short term protection, but I would not trust it for long term protection. Just my experience and opinion.

19. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Woah. That's kind of scary, Willow. I wonder what it is about the daily treatments that doesn't work.

I was kind of tempted by them til I read about them. Glad I decided to use Interceptor!