Heart worms in dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ruby, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

We just lost one of our outside dogs. He was a beautiful Lab/Rot mix. Looked like a full blood Rotti but had the personality of a Lab. We had both our outside dogs tested for heart worms and both tested positive. Could not afford the treatment. We live on a fixed income that does not stretch. I know it's just a matter of time before the other one dies also. She's Rot/Chow mix and solid red short hair. Very pretty dog and had rather be petted than eat. Now she's grieving for her companion. They have been together for 6 years.

If you can get them tested early enough before they get the worms, you can give them medication for prevention. So please get your animals tested when they are young and can put them on medication for prevention of the heart worms. It hurts to lose a pet.

2. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Limp Bisket LOL

I'm sorry for your loss, Ruby. It's so hard to lose a pet.

Stacy in NY

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

What can we say?????? At least NOW.. (compared w/15/20 yrs ago) the 'treatment" is substantially lower in cost.. Used to be about three days stay in hosp/ with IV and ran about $300!

NOW.. (and if your vet isnt' telling you.. FIND ANOTHER!!) It only runs about $100.. and is by pill? (Forgot this part) ANYWAY.. check again.

A cheaper way to keep dogs heartwormless (if test is clear) is to use cattle Ivomec.. BUT.. AND THIS IS IMPORTANT>> YOU MUST NOT OVER DOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!! It takes NEARLY NOTHING for a dog!! The bottle of Ivomec liquid will last for YEARS!!

Sorry you lost your dog.. but do try to find out more in hopes of saving the other! Good luck.

I might also be so 'rude' as to state the obvious???? It is a good idea to use preventative medicines w/dogs and all farm animals. If you KNOW you can't afford it at the outset..... THINK TWICE.... Animals and CHILDREN are huge responsibilities that didn't ask to be born!! (Not saying you DID this... I know things happen sometimes and screw up our money!)

4. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

The heart worm preventative that is given once a month runs about $6-$7 per dog per month. Worth it for our special furry children.

5. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I make sure my Bobo gets tested every 6 months. They now have a shot you can give them every six months. It runs about $32. Beats the $40 I was paying for the monthly pills. And I don't forget to give it to him.

6. KatW

KatW Xander's Mom

Do not use Ivomec (Ivermectin) with any of the collie breeds (Collies, Shetland sheepdogs, Australian shepherds, and Old English sheepdogs) as they are susceptible to life threatening side effects. The reaction is due to a gene in about 35% of these dogs. You can have your dog tested to see if it has the gene and if Ivermectin is safe for it or not.

The six-month preventitive shot, ProHeart 6, has been linked to the deaths of hundreds of dogs.

I personally will stay with the oral monthly dose. My dogs, rat terriers, like their monthly treat.

Ruby, I am so sorry for the loss of your dog.

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Our rescue dog, Daisy also had heartworm. When we took her in, September, she tested negative for heartworm. I put her on prevention. In June, the following year, she tested positive. The heartworm test can't tell you if your dog has the worms until they start breeding, months later.

I give my dog black wallnut hull tincture once a month for heartworm. It also kills other parasites and is safe for humans. He gets 1 drop for every 2 1/2 pounds of weight. I use it because I believe it is safer than commercial medications, but it is also much cheaper.

Please be aware that there are other protocols for heartworm treatment than those provided by your vet. Do a search on the net, I know there is at least one that uses herbs.

8. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I watched two of my bullmastiffs undergo arsenic injections 25 years ago and barely survive the treatments. Since then I have all of my dogs given twice yearly proheart 6 preventative injections at a cost of $40 per dog. No pills to remember every month and it only costs $3 more every 6 months.

9. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Please tell me more about treatment . I have 1 I just adopted that tested positive and I do not want to do the arsenic treatment . The vet never mention other options and quoted me 300.00 plus.

10. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

The IV arsenic treatment is no longer given. The modern treatment is an injection into the lumbar muscle of the back. The injection is given twice - the timing of the injections depends on how sick the dog is. Any heartworm positive dog that is not being treated (for whatever reason) should go on the once monthly preventative pill. This will keep the dog from getting infected with more heartworms, and prevent him from acting as a source of infection for other nearby dogs. Heartworms die off naturally in 1 to 2 years. If the dog is not infected with enough to cause serious heart damage, it may survive.

11. frontiergal

frontiergal Well-Known Member

12. Maureen

Maureen Member

The shot you mention is being recalled and should no longer be available.
    Proheart® 6 Recall
    http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/moxidectin/recall.html
    Maureen

13. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

There is a new product available called K-9 Advantix. It repels (!!) not just fleas and ticks, but mosquitoes.

It's a bit pricier than Frontline and can't replace a product specifically for heartworm prevention. But for people like me in bug infested environments :rolleyes: , it's great! Much better than Frontline (which allows the ticks to attach, but causes them to drop off after a few hours) and offers a small edge of prevention against heartworm (by repelling mosquitoes!).

14. Tempest

Tempest Well-Known Member

Our vet treats heartworm with preventatives instead of arsenic in all but the worst cases and this is why: heartworms have a 2 yr life cycle so if you give the dog heartworm preventative for 2 years those that were present will die off and no new ones will be formed or contracted. It takes 2 years, but is gentler on the dog. We refused to have our dog tested because the reccomended treatment was the same whether he tested positive or not: monthly preventatives. We were going to start monthly heartworm treatment anyways and my daughter would not be able to handle knowing her beloved companion had them after the vet showed us an actual dog's heart filled with worms that he had in a jar from a dog that died of it. She flipped out seeing that.
    I am going to look into the black walnut hull tincture. I tried doing an internet search on more natural treatments, but didn't come up with much. Thanks for posting that Maura!
    Peace and blessings,
    Tempest

15. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

4 years ago, our vet told us that our little border collie had heartworm. He said that she had to have the treatment, or she would live for only about 6 months. We couldn't afford the treatment at the time. He refused to give her the preventative to kill the larvae in her blood (to help prevent her spreading it to other dogs), saying it might kill her. We went to another vet to get a second opinion. He gave her the preventative shot, and nothing happened! Guess what, she's still alive, and now tests heartworm negative. I'm sorry about your loss. If you can't manage the arsenic treatment, you might ask the vet about just starting the other dog on preventative to see what happens. I think our original vet exaggerated the severity of the case to get more money out of us.

16. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

Ruby, my heart goes out to you.

I wanted to add that German Shepherds are also susceptible to life threatening reactions. My first GS reacted severely. Couldn't give him the preventative after that. He had heart worms twice and treated for it twice. Second time he died within a week after the treatment. He still made it to age 10+.

I use Interceptor (milbemycin) for the current GS. Also, had my (deceased at 16/17yo) Min. Schnauzer on it -- no reactions in either breed.

17. elks

elks Guest

Also most, if not all, animal parasites are transferable to people. Heartworm can make children blind.

18. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

Heartworm does not cause blindness in children, but roundworms (an intestinal parasite) can. A few cases of human heartworm infection have been diagnosed. The worm tends to cause a spot in the lung that can be confused with cancer when seen on an x-ray.

ProHeart is not being taken off the market. The recall is for one production batch only. The drug will soon be approved as a once yearly injection - how it has been used overseas for a number of years.

19. elks

elks Guest

ok I knew it was roundworm not heartworm that caused blindness but I was just trying to scare people into taking better care of their mutts. thanx msiz smartypants

20. mstook

mstook Member

can someone share what the symptoms of heart worm are

thanks
    karen