Hears what happened to pig #2.. tell me if This was a good d

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by cARRIE, Oct 14, 2003.

1. cARRIE

cARRIE Active Member

O.k. the butchered charged me 45.00 to kill pig. .45 to cut and wrap. I sold the pig at $1.25 a pound. The butcher told me it was the leanest he's seen in awhile. I let mine free range. Then I sweet feed mine for the last 2 wks. Did I do well or what? I pail 35.00 for it a 9 wks. old. I paid nothing in between. Thanks and look forward to next May when these 2 are big enough.

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

The only way I could tell if it was a good deal is figure the cost of the feed also.

Here in where we live the 'KILL FEE' is $20.00 per hog.
    Cut and wrap is $0.37 per Lb smoke cure is $0.67 per Lb.

Piglets are $20.00.

We sell $0.50 on the hoof and that pays for our cost of raising our own. Buyer pays direct to butcher.
    We will haul them if they want us to, as long as they are all going to our butcher at the same time. Neighborly thing to do. :)

We have taken new orders for next go around already.
    Glad you had a good sale.

3. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

I get a $100 on the hoof and I have them list the hog in there name at the butcher and they pay for killing curing and buthering,I do take the hogs to the butcher. I do better selling babies. I get $40 for 8 to 9 week old yorksires. I sale most of them here at my house by word of mouth, but I do carry some to flea market on a saturday and usualy sell what ever amount I have on the truck. I have bought some nice quilts at stock auction, but it seems more and more people that raise there own animals for there own use avoid the stock Auctions. I personaly like to go when i can, they are on mondays here so alot of time there not convenant.
    Arnoldw