Heard somthing today about hogs and goats today I found hard to believe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by FarmboyBill, Dec 11, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Guy said he knew of a friend of his whoi had a 200lb thereabouts pot bellied pig that was in a pen with goats, and they had seen it that night, and the next morning the goat was daid and the hog was working on it. That possible?? I would have thought the goat would butt the heck outta anything that hurt it.

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

remember that scene from the wizard of Oz?..Dorothy near the pig pen...well they were frightened for a reason.

Pony and nehimama like this.

3. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Bill, you've never raised hogs, have you? they are very capable of killing (and eating) anything..... I raise hogs for meat, but never ever trust them or turn my back to them.

Kaza

4. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

KAZA is right a hog will eat anything they love the taste of blood i think and once they get it, theres no stopping them from killing. they love chickens my grand dad had a sow that would chase the chickens till she caught one and would eat it right up and then go for more. so im sure a goat would be on the menu.

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

goats and heffers are fair game to a pig, especially if they have tussks, they will gouge them in the backend and bleed them out.

pigs are Omnivores and are very happy eating both vegitable AND MEAT, which they are quite capable of aquireing on their own

6. waygr00vy

waygr00vy Sunny Daze Farm

yep, i have a pot-bellied pig (well, not mine but lives at my house), he can go up to anyones food dish, goats, cows, the horse, and they will all back away and keep their distance. It is really a big pain, he always has to be locked up at feeding time...they are all scared to death of him. Its ok if they are out in the field and keep their distance, but in a pen or stall with him and they are out of there...

weavingone likes this.
  7. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

When I taught in another county, a woman brought her daughter to school and the woman was in REALLY bad shape, bloody and bruised; not domestic abuse, but the woman's 500 lb breeding sow had attacked her after she tripped and fell in the pig pen. Sow would have killed her, too, if the husband hadn't beaten her off.

weavingone likes this.
  8. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

On the other hand...............I have a "river bottom wild boar", actually a barrow now, that has lived quite happily with a multitude of animals. His best friend ever was a burro, a pair of miniature horses came in a close second. He also did quite well with a nubian/boer cross and a pygmy goat. His last room-mate was another wild boar (not a very nice one at that, he's no longer there) that he got along just fine with. The only trouble I have ever had was when I babysat a female pot belly for a friend, Rudy decided he did NOT LIKE HER and I had to keep her in a seperate pen as I was worried he might hurt her.
    I plan to put my two pygmy goats in with him as soon as they are no longer snack size. I don't anticipate any problems but will move them to another area in the unlikely event there are.
    Maybe he was different because he had always been around other animals?
    Either that or I just got dang lucky..........

9. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I was also attacked by a hog... badly (nasty story) and I hadn't even fallen. In the end, I was medivacced by helicopter to one of the biggest hospitals this side of the great Mississippi and spent a fair amount of time recovering. No, I do not trust hogs.

Kaza

nehimama likes this.
  10. HobbyfarmingMO

HobbyfarmingMO Member

As a matter of fact, I just lost a goat and put our Pot-bellied pig in with our lonely goat to keep him company until we could find another goat .... my goat head butted the pig and the pig ended up with the goat's entire neck in it's mouth. I was shocked and it looked like the pig might actually harm the goat! They were actually in a pen together when the pig was a baby ... for about 6 months ... I thought they liked each other.

ne prairiemama likes this.
  11. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Hogs are not exactly portrayed as serious predators, unless you've read Hannibal.

Is a hog less aggressive if castrated?

12. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

My dad and grandad raised hogs. Been around them at least 55 yrs. The meanest dad ever had was Tamworths. A chicken wouldnt make it across the lot. Once, my brother was setting on the board fence, and I was in the lot, and for whatever reason, I picked up a pig, and the race was on. I was nam fast, but I never timed a hog so i didnt know if I was staying ahead or losing ground. Finally, twice around the lot, I dropped the pig and baled over the fence, and that was that. I never had any mean hogs. Ive had inquisitive hogs who liked to nibble on mea and Ive had to slap them when their nibbles got to hard, but thats that. I bought some red hamps? from an old neighbor. He had a lot made out of anything he could make it out of. Old wire, bailing wire, barb wire junk parts, bed springs. Well, we got the sow and pigs in the lot knowing the pigs would come right out. Well I grabbed a pig right next to the so called fence. The sow came after me. I was setting on my butt and had the pig so I couldnt get up quick, the sow came through the so called fince head first, but thats all the further she could get, but that head was only about a foot away from my face. The old man was right next to me, but all he was doing was saying (Oh God, Oh God). If u have been following my posts, im building a hog/goat house. So, ive always been around hogs

Amadioranch likes this.
  13. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

FArm Boy--
    My grandmother was telling me about a neighbor, went to slop hogs, and an hour later, all his worried family found was the guys chewed on watch and clothes remnants. Don't trust a hog-- they get bigger than you !!!

14. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Sounds like that guy was too sloppy himself...ok, really bad humor, sorry.

15. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

There are stories about the wild hogs in East Texas attacking men on horse back eviscerating the horse in the belly with the tusks. These stores are from the early days of settlement of this area.

16. debd0712

debd0712 Well-Known Member

My neighbor has a 250 lb P.B. pig that attacked and tore the daylights out of her Rotweiller. The Rot required several surgeries and was never quite the same again. It took her months to recover from the ordeal. Apparently all pigs can be mean.

Debbie

17. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

I live in east Texas (born and raised in Southwest Louisiana). I can vouch for that one. My grandfather trapped and raised hogs and he would come back to the house with his hands ripped open and bleeding sometimes. My mother told me that a wild boar did, in fact, attack him on horseback once. You have to watch them closely.

Malissa in Texas

18. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

bill,
    my dad had a sow that pulled one of my grandma's babies under the side of the barn and ate all but one front leg. so it definitely is possible.

on another note, i was in the hog pasture and got "goosed" by a 150# gilt. tell me that didn't get my attenion and remind me to be aware!!! yes, i raised them fron babies, but they want food from me.... :)

19. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I was just reading this in the Goat Medicine book by Dr. Mary Smith page 132-133.

There is a type of pseudorabies virus that is carried by swine, and the swine can be unaffected, but it can be transferred to goats and sheep and it is fatal for them. It is called Aujesky's disease (or mad itch disease) and can be fatal to a goat within hours. The virus is introduced through the skin or inhalation. There will be inflammation of the face due to excessive rubbing, agitation, repeated lying down and rising, hysterical bleating, profuse sweating and convulsion. Fever as high as 106.7F. Eventually paralysis, coma and death. This could all occur within several hours. There is no treatment.

So, perhaps the pig was a carrier and infected the goat. Possible.

20. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Did yo ever see Old Yella? Hogs are serious business. I remember a few years ago here in GA. They were building a million dollar subdivision and cutting walking trails trhough the woods. THis lady comes on TV saying how wonderful it waa there. THey had bobcat, coyote, fox, wild boar and bear. She was holding a baby, had a toddler and a yappy little dog. All I could see was bait. :1pig:

Pony likes this.