healthy doe dies after premature birth

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by birdie_poo, Jul 26, 2003.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Well, as far as I know she was healthy. She was about 2, this was going to be her first litter with us. Rex, normal size, gestation was coming along fine.

She wasn't supposed to deliver until next Wednesday, at the earliest, but being her first litter, I gave her the box early and a pile of bermuda to fill it with. I did that last night.

She sniffed around the box and the bermuda, and then I left her. This AM, I found her laying on the bermuda, on her side, when I opened the hutch, I saw the malformed kits and some blobs. All were dead. She was still slightly warm.

Any ideas what may have happened?

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

With out cutting her open you will not know for sure.

She could have had a stuck kit.

How hot was it. Could have been heat stroke.

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Not hot at all. She would have delivered after 5-6 pm, which is relatively cool, here, with a breeze. That was the last time I checked on her, then I dound her at 7:30, this morning. She was still fairly warm, so I know she had passed just before then, the evenings are cool, she would have been stiff and cold if she had died last night.

The kits weren't fully developed, yet, though. It was a premature birth. They still had at least 4-5 more days to go.