Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 524 Posts

·
Voice of Reason
52,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got notification about my 2015 health care renewal premium through the healthcare exchange. I'm curious about what others are experiencing.

My overall premium will be increased from $550/month to $557/month, with no change in the policy itself. Assuming that my subsidy stays the same, my share of the premium will go from $53/month to $60/month.

The overall premium increase is only about 1.2%, which is small. I don't know for sure if it's an increase in premium or just an adjustment because I'm a year older. I'll only have this policy for 8 months of 2015, since I turn 65 during the year and will go on Medicare.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
I just got notification about my 2015 health care renewal premium through the healthcare exchange. I'm curious about what others are experiencing.

My overall premium will be increased from $550/month to $557/month, with no change in the policy itself. Assuming that my subsidy stays the same, my share of the premium will go from $53/month to $60/month.

The overall premium increase is only about 1.2%, which is small. I don't know for sure if it's an increase in premium or just an adjustment because I'm a year older. I'll only have this policy for 8 months of 2015, since I turn 65 during the year and will go on Medicare.
Lets see if your premium is going to increase by 7 dollars and you only pay $60 instead of the $53 who is going to pay the rest? The answer is the tax payers included me. Thanks a lot.

·
Voice of Reason
52,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lets see if your premium is going to increase by 7 dollars and you only pay $60 instead of the $53 who is going to pay the rest? The answer is the tax payers included me. Thanks a lot.
What I'm interested in is whether the conservative prediction that premiums and copays will skyrocket in 2015 comes true.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
Last year around this time Obama raided the Advantage Medicare program I believe it was 300 billion, and now in 2015 my premium goes up 27%. Nice going. He Hates the poor, and here I thought the "Other' side was always accused of that.
Sure it isn't as much as he did the Medicare itself at 700 billion but less old folks have Advantage than just plain Medicare with a Medigap added on.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
IMHO by the time I am old enough for Medicare it will be so small as to be meaningless, the gap insurance will be the predominant payer. So I am trying to plan accordingly by not wasting a dime when it comes to being past the ability to work.

T

·
0 Posts
I have no insurance. When ObummerCare kicked in, my work dropped my policy, shoved me on another policy that made it no longer affordable. After taxes and insurances, my take home pay wasn't enough to cover gas and food...
I had some surgery, and after my FMLA ran out, they didn't renew my annual contract. No job & no insurance - DOUBLE Impact.

Oh, and the insurance would never cover fixing my back anyway, so my surgery was CASH. All they would approve was fusion, which is not a fix - its a harmful procedure.

Sure am glad I paid those insurance premiums for six years!

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
Last year around this time Obama raided the Advantage Medicare program I believe it was 300 billion, and now in 2015 my premium goes up 27%. Nice going. He Hates the poor, and here I thought the "Other' side was always accused of that.
Sure it isn't as much as he did the Medicare itself at 700 billion but less old folks have Advantage than just plain Medicare with a Medigap added on.
No. It was over 750 bill.

·
Registered
229 Posts
With open enrollment coming here this month, we're debating on whether or not to try to get insurance. I just want major medical to cover major events. I don't care about doctor copays and carp. I'll do that out of pocket and save money. But I don't know if it's going to be feasible or not. And we're in KY, which is practically the flagship for Obamacare. Problem is, we work. And we're not in that upper echelon range where we don't have to worry about premiums.

So no increase here… but no coverage, either. *shrugs*

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
My individual policy, which we pay out of pocket, has been cancelled, it is non compliant. It goes away Dec. 31. The same company will roll me over to another policy for $75 more a month. I haven't done the side by side comparisons yet, I was going to check out the exchange at healthcare dot gov and compare all my options at once, but it doesn't open until Nov. 15th this year. To join DHs plan thru his employer would be $900 a month, not happening.

Friend of mine works for one of the biggest health care co's. She says there are increases for 2015 across the board. She also reports that a lot of doctors, as they renew their contracts for 2015, are staying in the co. network but dropping out of Medicare.

·
Voice of Reason
52,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just want major medical to cover major events. I don't care about doctor copays and carp. I'll do that out of pocket and save money.
Sure. You should be able to find a low-end bronze plan like that.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
my daughter found out wed. her cost went up to $10200, per month plus the deductable will to 1500 per person... they go by your age,,older person pays more. they have two daughters on her policy... husbands ins comes up for renewal in aug. but if she switches to his, she still has to pay the whole year for the one she is one now?? yeah thanks obuma realy helping the working class a lot...if you choose to not carry ins, you are fined?

T

·
0 Posts
I am sure I will be fined. I hear the first year the fine is something like $500... Which is the annual fine. Where adding me to DH's insurance would be $800 a MONTH. My math is poor, but with the increasing annual fines, we can save money for at least three years before the fines overtake the premium. I'm going with that for now.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
We've been covered at my wife's work, although we're both eligible to Medicare. Last week the company announced the "out of pocket" increases from $1500 to $6000, prescriptions - generics still $8, but non-generic we pay full boat. On the bright side, the premium only went up $80/month. Overall an increase of $5460/year. You see, they have to cover lots of things they never even had to consider before.

Thanks obamacare! Oh, and you're welcome Nevada!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have Anthem family coverage through by my employer. This year my share of the premium stayed the same at $58.79 weekly, but the per-person annual deductible rose from $700 to $760. No change to dental, which costs me $7.54 per week for family coverage.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
my daughter found out wed. her cost went up to $10200, per month plus the deductable will to 1500 per person... they go by your age,,older person pays more. they have two daughters on her policy... husbands ins comes up for renewal in aug. but if she switches to his, she still has to pay the whole year for the one she is one now?? yeah thanks obuma realy helping the working class a lot...if you choose to not carry ins, you are fined?
Over 10 grand a month for insurance? That's insane -- she needs to change plans quickly.

I'm on a 0 pay Medicare Advantage program, but the benefits are changing some this year. There will be a $320.00 deductible for 3rd tier meds and doctor visits co-pays are going up by $5.00. But I'm OK with that as long as it continues to be free (except for the part B Medicare that is taken out of SS).

Reactions: Tricky Grama

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
That has to be a typo. No one pays $10,200 per month for health insurance. Not even with a fairly cheap deductible like $1500.

And even if it's $1020, it is past time to go shopping. There's no reason to pay that much. Even in the insurance desert of Kansas, where there's no competition, we "only" paid $680 for the baseline BC/BS family plan. (Minus the $50 subsidy)
Unless she's a chronic who is at the doc's all the time, younger adults need to max out their deductibles to minimize their premiums.

1 - 20 of 524 Posts