Health Question-Joint Replacement

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Blacksmith23, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Blacksmith23

Blacksmith23 Guest

OK, I have been reading here for a while, not posting as I have been flamed on a couple other boards in the past. I am not PC enough for them it seems. I think from reading what others have said, this should be safer. I hope.

Here is the question, I have bad osteoarthritis in my major joints. Had my right knee replaced just before Christmas, and need the left one done as soon as the right one heals. Has anyone else had knees replaced, and how do you do after the healing? Is there anything other than the strong drugs the doc gives me that I can take for pain? I am not yet 50, and don't want to give up all the stuff that I like to do.

Thanks

2. Blacksmith, you are already headed down the allopathic path with the conventional doctors and there is not much you can do at this point for pain other than take their poisons. The bigger question is, why did you get these joint problems in the first place? I think its time we all started taking more responsibility for our lives and educating ourselves to what we can do to avoid this kind health problem. We have all fallen into the fast food trap, whether its in a box or McDonalds and we are paying for it. I recently saw on the news about concerns for children who were having more bone fractures than children in the past and the conclusion was that high Phosphate soft drinks were the culprit. This is one example of the toxic non-food we ingest that is detrimental to human health. If you want to know the true causes of disease do some research on acid/alkaline of body tissue and fluids. When we eat an acid diet (high protein) long enough our mineral stores are depleted and the body goes to the extreme to try and keep us alive trying to buffer all the acid. In my opinion it all boils down the basics which God has instructed us to do, "Let your food be your medicine" and that is fruits, vegetables and herbs.

Tom

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

First be aware there is a new knee replacement procedure coming on line. Rather than cutting the long incision through the muscle and tenons/ligaments it uses only one along side the kneecap. Then everything is done through it. About half way between osthoscopic and normal replacement surgury. Advantage is recovery time is down to about a week or so from the eight plus for the normal surgury. One doctor does the new surgury on an out-patient basis. You have it done in the AM and are sent home in the PM on a pair of crutches. Some therophy (sp?) still required.

Are you doing anything to try to either rebuild or keep the cartridge you have? I had the scope work done on one knee to clean off the bone tops and bottom of the kneecap. After that my surgeon had me start taking two glucosamine Chondrotin complex double strength tablets each day - one morning, one evening. The last time I went in he took the sunrise X-ray and said he could clearly see where cartridge is being rebuilt in the knee. He initially thought I would have to have the knee replaced in the future. Now he said it may not have to be done.

However, he said he only recommends either Osteo Bi-Flex or DS Double Strength. Says the others don't have in them what they say they do or the quality is lacking.

My surgeon also ordered me, as much as he could, to lose weight. I'm 5'9"-ish and was carrying around about 200 pounds. I'm now down to 175-ish. To understand the difference make a 25-pound load and carry it around for a while.

Check into the new surgical procedure.

Ken S. in WC TN

(P.S. Stay off General Chat and chances of your getting flamed here are small.)

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

If you have blood sugar problems, be careful with the glucosamine. For some people (I'm one! :) ), it causes blood sugar to shoot up.

I have very bad bursitis in one hip from an injury when I was a kid. It was hurting so bad that, by last summer, there were times I couldn't walk at all or even sleep.

I went on a round of aspirin for about a month. Mind you, I don't take pills so doing this was a big deal for me. I took maybe 3 aspirin a day for several weeks, then cut back to 1 for a week or so.

Worked like a charm. :D It messed up my stomach and I'm only now getting that straightened out, but was worth every minute of stopping the pain in my hip and being able to walk again.

Another suggestion --- although with a name like Blacksmith, you probably won't want to do this :D --- but yoga has been a lifesaver, as well. The pain of the hip sent my entire body out of whack, causing all kinds of crazy muscle spasms and even more pain. Yoga straightens that right out. You really might want to investigate doing some kind of stretching exercises to alleviate the kind of side damage likely happening from trying to compensate for your knee.

Good luck!

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

The new knee replacement method I mentioned is being lead by Dr. Alfred Tria of New Jersey's Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Tria predicts in five year 40% of total knee replacements will be done via this manner. If this sounds like something which might be of interest contact them for a possible referral in your general area. However, it might be worth a trip to New Jersey. You would seem to be a good study case to where they can compare a recent traditionally done surgury to the new technique.

I forgot to mention my surgeon also suggested a daily calcium supplement. He noted there is no concrete evidence it aids restoration, but, like an aspirin a day, it isn't going to hurt most people either.

Ken S. in WC TN

6. frontiergal

frontiergal Well-Known Member

before doing anything drastic checkout this site and find out what america's poisionous food has done to us. there are many forums on this site and some seem a bit out there but the diet and nutition ones are great.
    www.curezone.com

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ken, I fully agree with the use of the glucosamine. I was about passed the point of walking when I heard a report by Paul Harvey regarding glucosmaine. My problem with my knees has subsided to the point that I can return to tasks that I was doing 10 years prior. Most people do not take enough glucosamine to see the benefit IMO. Several acquaintences have noticed that I no longer have obvious problems with my knees and they have asked what I did. Having told them, they have also tried the product and have benefited. I buy my glucosamine off the net and continue to take it at the rate of 100 mg. of active ingredient per 50 lbs. of body weight. As for the knee surgeries using the older technique, I am not impressed. Unfortuntately, the typical results are for the worse not the better. I will make an effort to follow the results of the newer technique.

8. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

In Chinese medicine knee pain is related to kidney imbalances. I would suggest coming to the aid of your kidneys. Drinking a tea made from parsley(from the grocery store or garden) is a good way to clean out the kidneys. There are also many kidney herbs that will help. A kidney imbalance will also be involved with prostate problems/enlargement. It all ties together. If you are interested in the natural side of health go to a chiropractor or naturopath, they will be extremely helpful. This of course is a very short answer but there are many ways you could help yourself, if you are interested in the natural/alternative path. Marilyn, the farmer's wife....also Certified Natural Health Professional and Master Herbalist. :yeeha:

9. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

Here's a suggestion... as there is much evidence glucosamine is a part of the answer.. it primarily works by drawing water to the cartilage.. helping it retain its cushioning effect and lubrication to the joint.. but if the damage to the joint is very severe that it cannot retain water Glucosamime can help if combined with Collagen Type II .. since a 1993 Harvard Medical School study showed more and more people using Collagen Type II see more improvement.. that glucosamine alone.. Cartilage is primarily made of Collagen Type II so by supplimenting the body with this ingredient.. it stands to maximize the pain relief and rebuilding to some joint health.. There is a Canadian product available.. that is very good.. called LaKota Rheumatoid/Osteo Formula... suppliment includes Collagen Type II and is unrivalled in the marketplace.. it includes other herbs as well.. Friends have had remarkable results with this product... check the web page for more info.. http://www.lakotaherbs.com feel what your missing in healthy joints..

KC~

PS.. Hope you give it a try... You will not regret this choice..

10. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my coworkers was put on DSM- the human metabolite of DMSO- by his orthopedic surgeon to help build new bone and reduce pain. Some of the local heatlth food stores stock a glucosamine/DSM pill. I have chronic back pain and for 3 weeks on DSM I was able to NOT take ANY pain pills (after more than 20 years!!) unfortunately, I developed a neuropathy in my feet. It went away after stopping the DSM. That's an un-heard of reaction, the most common side effect is to regularize your bowels (not diarrhea, not cramping, but several formed stools daily)
    Glucosamine and chondrioten helped my pain, not as much as the DSM, but also whacked up my cholesterol and blood sugar levels. :waa: