Health insurance for self-employed and/or low income homesteaders?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by zharzhay, Apr 17, 2006.

1. zharzhay

zharzhay Member

Hi all,
    I work part time and make about $800/month, and am in my second year of farm business (won't make profit this year, but maybe next).
    Does anyone use a catastrophic (only covers major incidents) policy which they pay themselves? I am hoping for something like $50/month. I am 33 and in excellent health, my partner is 24 and same.
    If anyone replies, have you actually had the experience of filing a claim?
    Thanks so much,
    Erik Andelman
    Lancing, TN
    http://wanderingstars.com

2. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

Let me be painfully blunt here. You don't earn enough for health insurance, catastrophic or otherwise.

That said, you're not alone. The national health care program in this country consists of 1) medical bankruptcy, and 2) medical tourism. If you have a major injury or illness you will probably need to use both.

I know a guy who was in an accident where he injured his leg. The initial care wasn't too much, but he needed a fake kneecap. The cost of surgery and rehab was estimated at $25,000. He flew to Bangkok and got the kneecap surgery for $900, plus $1000 for airfare. His recovery was satisfactory.

You can get heart bypass surgery in Bangkok for $3500. The point is that if you maintain a modest medical savings account, or sufficient assets to borrow against in an emergency, you can cover yourself. That's provided you are willing to go overseas for definitive care, of course.

Mark my words, a "good" heart attack in this country will cost you a quarter million dollars. It is the $25,000 kneecaps and $250,000 heart attacks that make health insurance in this country cost prohibitive.

You might consider a medical discount program, but many of those are rip-offs. Still, office & ER visits can be deeply discounted with a medical discount membership.

3. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

4. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Try Blue Cross Blue Shield. They might be able to get a major medical policy with a $5000 deductible for around $80/month pp. That is what it runs for your age here in NC.

Going out of the country for health care may work for some but doesn't sound like a very viable option for this person.

5. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

Another good place to check would be Sam's Club.

6. kountrycritters

kountrycritters Active Member

gh has had NASE national health insurance for self employed accident only policy dr visit and or hospital plus benefits for being a member discounts, hotel, rental cars,free tax & business advice and car towing we have it with our car insurance but also free with nase all i had to do was mail a copy of towing bill and repair bill and was reimburse in full for towing, plus they have a essay scholarship for members kids, ect. had the plan for 4 yrs only recently used it 2 in the last 5 months, 1rst time hubby cut his leg and need stitches our copay was $20 then we thought he broke his toe had xrays and dr visit again co pay $20 both claim was paid in 3 weeks by ins company no problems we he pays $121 per month. it covers you 24 hours a day you can choose any dr no list of providers.