Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Thanks for posting that.
My dentist gave me a tube of "toothpaste" that is a floride treatment to use until next cleaning..... so far I've not brought myself to use it. I thought I remembered that the jury is out on the real results of flouride.

Angie

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Thankfully enough savvy residents were able to stop the proposed fluoride water treatment where I live. A church under the guise of health ministry was willing to donate the process. For how long I don't know. Many local dentists were for it, others dentists not for it were fairly vocal.

What naturally occurs in the water is enough for me as that seems what the Lord intended.

Now if we could also stop chlorination. The stench from the water abouts gags me at times.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Windy in Kansas said:
Now if we could also stop chlorination. The stench from the water abouts gags me at times.
I always know when the city water here is scheduled to be tested, because it tastes strongly of chlorine for a couple days.

Fortunately that doesn't happen very often, because it's hard to drink when it tastes like that.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
My kids haven't had flouridated water, either in town, or from our well. They inherited my great teeth(thank GOd!!). OK, I'm also ashamed to say they've only been to the dentist twice, but there's only been two cavities (in baby teeth)!

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Our well is naturally fluoridated. In town near here, they discourage residents from using any other fluoridated products because of the naturally ocurring levels in the town wells.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I am thankful the water where I grew up was fluoridated ... at age 40, I have never had a cavity!

Both my parents had dentures at my age.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Selena said:
Glad you posted the links.

If anyone doubts the veracity read the warning on your very own toothpaste tube ( fluoridated toothpaste that is)

" Warnings

Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away. "

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
ok weighing in on the other side of the tooth.......I too was against flouride for a long time. The older girls got my teeth so they've had basically no issues. The younger ones though got dh's teeth. MAJOR issues. Even with brushing the oldest boy is in for lots of dentists visits. So we're now using the flouride paste. If it stops their teeth from being so bad then I'm willing to do it. We're on well water so they're not getting it anywhere else. Youngest ds at two already has a cavity at the gumline. I brush his teeth at least 2x a day whether he's willing or not (I have the bite marks to prove it too) we're trying to halt that cavity with the flouride paste till he's old enough to loose that tooth.

·
Premium Member
18,020 Posts
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The dose makes the poison…." Paracelsus (1493-1541)

Another way of stating this is, all substances are safe to consume, the safety is in the dose.

I agree that flouride can be a poison, but at normal consumption rates (dose) it is not toxic. Likewise, table salt can be a posion, but at normal consumption rates it is not toxic.

And as long as we're posting links, here is what the American Council on Science and Health has to say about the topic:

http://www.acsh.org/healthissues/newsID.724/healthissue_detail.asp

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Ginnie5, you are doing the right thing by treating your different children DIFFERENTLY! Your kids have different dental situations, and you are responding to those differences! The controversy for most about flouride is among adults, not small children whose 2nd set of teeth have yet to develop. Best wishes! ldc

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Interesting... I went to a new dentist a few years back and the hygenist immediatley commented "well, your mom wasn't pregnant with you in this state, where were you born?". I am 42 and have never had a cavity and was told that it has more to do with your mom being on flouridated water when she was pregnant with you.

I also think that genetics has a great deal to do with it. None of our kids have ever had a cavity either and the oldest is 17, however, our water is not flouridated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts