Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am recently divorced, but still on the ex's health care plan.

I need to get a plan, of my own.

I am not in a position to get on my employers health care plan.

I COMPLETELY ignored all the 'obama care' nonsense, because it 'didn't apply to me'......so I have NO, I mean absolutely NO idea what is going on.

I need health care, like what I have now.
So when I go see my doc, it's 20.00 at the door (co-pay) prescriptions are dramatically reduced, and if I get sick, it's like an 80/20 split.
I would love to have dental but that's not as important as the medical.

Do I just go to "Prudential's or Blue Cross Blue Shield's" web site and sign up?

How does a recently single chick get health care ins?

(please, when you explain it: do so like you are talking to a 10 year old child. I really don't understand this whole Health Care Debacle.)

U

·
0 Posts
Go here and fill in the blanks. It varies by state, depending on whether or not the state accepted the medicaid expansion. This is not an application, you don't give them any personal information, just state, zip code, number of dependents, etc. It'll spit out your cost in a split second.
http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much:

What does this mean??

Your State Has Not Decided to Expand Medicaid

States have the option to expand Medicaid coverage to everyone under 138% of the poverty level. If a state expands Medicaid, most of the costs are covered by the federal government under the health reform law. At this time, your state has not decided to expand Medicaid.
Depending on your state’s eligibility criteria, you or some members of your family may still be eligible for Medicaid. Contact your state’s Medicaid office or exchange for more information.
Because your income is equal to 110% of the poverty level, you may be eligible for tax credits in the exchanges. Tax credits are only available to people with incomes between 100% and 400% of the poverty level. The information below is about subsidized exchange coverage:
Household income in 2014:110% of poverty levelMaximum % of income you have to pay for the premium, if eligible for a subsidy: 2% Health Insurance premium in 2014 (for a silver plan, before tax credit): $3,197 per year You could receive a government tax credit subsidy of up to: $2,677 per year
(which covers 84% of the overall premium) Amount you pay for the premium: $520 per year
(which equals 2% of your household income and covers 16% of the overall premium)

U

·
0 Posts
It means your insurance, for the silver plan, will be $3197. You may get a government tax credit which will bring the cost down to $520. I expect you'll actually have to go to your state's exchange for more exact information about the credit. Here is the exchange for Indiana. If you wish another state, there is a drop-down for that.
http://www.healthinsurance.org/indiana-state-health-insurance-exchange/

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm curious how it all works also. The tax credit subsidies sound good, unless you arent paying in, in which case, I think it means little or nothing.

It looks like yours is in the realm of reality. For this area for me, the .gov version is almost $700/mo, the nearest commercial version is almost $800/mo. No credits or subsides. Zero. None.

B

·
0 Posts
Arcticow had to pick up a plan..we pay $140/month for health insurance that has a deductible of $2500.......unless and until our out of pocket meets and then exceeds $2500, it pays zero....the good news is that the most that a hospital can charge us is $5000 ...

My 4 day stay last June for that heart attack was billed at $35K....to my insurance ( I have Medicare plus)

So, John pays $65/doctor visit twice a year ...and we don't worry about losing everything to a sudden health disaster...

Each state has different plans available...this one is the lowest level coverage allowed by the Feds...as far as I know..

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Laura, if you have health insurance coverage available through your job, you won't be eligible for the Obamacare subsidies/tax credits.

You can still buy insurance; you just won't get a subsidy from the government. :(

So that's the first thing you need to determine: Are you eligible for insurance through your job?

If you are, but the insurance is too expensive, you might consider cutting back your hours so that you're no longer eligible (if your employer will let you). That way, you could get a cheap policy through Obamacare! If you need to work more hours, because you need the money, you can always pick up a second part-time job.

I work two part-time jobs, which equal a full-time one, but since neither job comes with insurance, I can get an Obamacare policy that only costs me about $30 a month. If I worked full-time for a single employer, the employee's share of my insurance premium undoubtedly would cost more than that.

It's kind of a pain to work two jobs, but the savings may be worth it.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Do you know anyone in a insurance agency. They have experts available free to you to go through the options and explain it fully. They are paid to do this so they can offer this service to you free. Ask around, would be easier then to muddle through I would think. Good luck.

·
Single Urban Homesteader
1,231 Posts
If you like your job, you can keep your job. Unless you need to afford insurance...lol. My past and now current employers have switched over to the obamacare style tiers to conform to the new laws. Next year it'll cost me triple in premiums with double the deductible.

Unfortunately, it seems that they've gone with the premise that the best way to control healthcare spending is to stick it to the consumer so they can't afford to spend on healthcare :D

I guess I just wanted to commiserate. I hope you find something, but from what I've seen we haven't been left many options.

·
Indomitable
4,798 Posts
Laura I'm with Echo on this--talk to a professional in the business (or at least to someone who's job is relative to it).

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only folks that have health care are the 2 owners and the kitchen manager.
I am only a bartender, so I am not eligible. Even if I was a supervisor, it's not available.

So I do not have the option of getting insurance thru my work.

What kind of insurance agency can I call or go to to ask these questions??

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Go to www.healthcare.gov. Enter your pertinent information. You'll find out what kind of subsidy you're eligible for, and get to see the insurance policies available in your area. You can compare different companies' offerings at a glance.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Anyone who sells insurance would be where I start. Ask them if they have anyone trained in assisting folks with health care. If not ask them who they recommend. Good luck.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
If you go to an individual company, you're only going to get their rates and policies. You could run all over town finding out what's available and then spend hours comparing costs and benefits. The ACA website lays it all out for you, in a format that makes it easy to compare one policy to another. Why reinvent the wheel? :confused:

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a little weirded out about putting all my info on the computer?

I don't want to 'sign up' with a human (unless its an amazing deal) I just want a human to explain it to me. I have questions.

If I move from IN to FLA do I have to change ins plans?
What if I move from FLA to GA? Change again?
I just have a lot of questions....

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
They have only so many options with obamacare, individual rates from them don't count. At least in my area. Good luck Laura. If you would like I could inquire with my friend who owns an agency to see what you should ask before going in. Then instead of running all over like WG mentioned you could call first.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I'm a little weirded out about putting all my info on the computer?
If you go into an office to get a quote, they're going to put all your information into a computer ... no way of getting around it, I'm afraid!
It may make you feel better to know that since Obamacare went into effect, insurance companies can't charge you more (or less) based on your health history, so there are no questions of that nature anymore. You don't have to give an "organ recital"! The only thing they care about (because they ARE allowed to charge more for it) is if you use tobacco.
If I move from IN to FLA do I have to change ins plans?
What if I move from FLA to GA? Change again?
Yes. Insurance is regulated on a statewide basis, so plans don't extend across state lines. This isn't due to Obamacare ... it's the way it's always been, as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
I think Raeven may be able to anser some of her questions, if she PM's her.

Mon

Reactions: Tommyice

·
Renegade Gypsy Queen
2,126 Posts
That way, you could get a cheap policy through Obamacare!
I don't know what "cheap" means to you. But back at my old job the employer did not offer health insurance and what I "qualified" for with Obamacare was twice as much per month than an independent agent...with the same or less deductible.

So I just kept my doctor that took cash and no insurance until I could figure something out. Luckily I found a job that pays 100% of the premium and have health, dental and vision...with a deductible but office visits are co pay...so it's nice.

I hope Obamacare is nicer on the pocketbook for those that have dependents. My daughter apparently didn't qualify because she didn't live with me....even though she is under 25 and in college and doesn't have healthcare.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I don't know what "cheap" means to you.
I pay less than $30 a month for my Obamacare plan ... the government pays the balance. Of course, I don't make very much money these days, but then I don't need to ... for one, I don't have to work to pay for health insurance!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts