Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I broke a tooth. Since that time I have had mouth sores in that area on my gums and tongue etc.Mouthwash and salt water didn't help so got on 1 1/2 % peroxide which is helping.Just got a call that my 15 month old has "hoof & mouth"! Whow,I've heard of it but that's it. Come to find out he got it from some amish kids and was told there is a breakout here in this area.
So anyway,he'll be fine in a couple weeks,and that's what i got which is harder on adults and takes longer to get ride of! Nothing to do with my tooth,just happened at the same time/place(in my mouth).
Like I said we'll all be fine.No Foul,just be cautious if you are in this area!
Thanks all!

Wade

·
Registered
8,229 Posts

·
newfieannie
9,631 Posts
this is the first I heard that kids could get hoof and mouth disease. I thought it was only horses. I remember our horses having it when I was a child . ~Georgia

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saw this today, it has to do with the illegal immigrant children and what diseases they might have brought with them.

Recently, schools reported an uptick in the enterovirus hand, foot and mouth disease in Illinois, Indiana, Florida, Virginia, Wisconsin with cases also reported in Oregon.
Additional reports in southwest Virginia
http://sharylattkisson.com/polio-like-outbreak-claims-fifth-life-in-u-s
I hadn't seen that! Thanks for the link Tom! I guess the little guy's not getting any more "hugs-n-kisses" from papaw for a while!!

Wade

·
Registered
10,222 Posts
No need to panic. It is Hand-foot-and-mouth disease and isn't related to foot-and-mouth disease (sometimes called hoof-and-mouth disease), which is an infectious viral disease found in farm animals. You can't contract hand-foot-and-mouth disease from pets or other animals, and you can't transmit it to them.

Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is a mild, contagious viral infection common in young children and is characterized by sores in the mouth and a rash on the hands and feet. Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is most commonly caused by a coxsackievirus.

But it is thoughtful and a good idea to alert people to the fact that it is active in your area. Prevention is always the best idea.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Right :umno: I must of been lucky at near 63 years old I don't know one person that has had it . What is your definition of common :coffee:

The boy I know that had it looked mighty rough around his mouth and nose. His feet looked rough too. He had rashes and bump looking things on just about all exposed areas that I could see. That was after he had it a week. He is 12 yrs old. I have never seen "hand, foot and mouth before.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No need to panic. It is Hand-foot-and-mouth disease and isn't related to foot-and-mouth disease (sometimes called hoof-and-mouth disease), which is an infectious viral disease found in farm animals. You can't contract hand-foot-and-mouth disease from pets or other animals, and you can't transmit it to them.

Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is a mild, contagious viral infection common in young children and is characterized by sores in the mouth and a rash on the hands and feet. Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is most commonly caused by a coxsackievirus.

But it is thoughtful and a good idea to alert people to the fact that it is active in your area. Prevention is always the best idea.

Thanks for correcting that! I guess I had my tongue over my eye teeth and couldn't see what I was saying!

Wade

·
Premium Member
25,205 Posts
I never heard of people getting it either. Apparently it's also an enterovirus. All the sites say it's common but not how common.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Wait until he gets Fifth's Disease.
That's a truly weird one.

Simon got it.
I had never heard of it.
It looked like he had been slapped hard on each cheek.
Then he got a weird 'lacing' on his upper arms and thighs.
It was a pretty design, but totally, totally weird.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
It's Hand Foot and Mouth.
Not the same thing as what the animals get.
And it is common in children under 5.
Yep hand and mouth and my grandkids got it and boy did they get sick, rash with blisters all over them could not stand clothes on high fever and our hospital had no idea what it was, finally took them to the big city hospital in maryland. It took weeks to clear up. Doctors gave them a cream but it really ddint do anything.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Yup, afraid so...
Very, very common. Hand, foot and mouth disease. Absolutely nothing new.
We have been lucky enough to have not encountered it personally...but
It was something we were always told to be on the look out for when I was a daycare provider.
Spreads easily.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
A couple weeks ago I broke a tooth. Since that time I have had mouth sores in that area on my gums and tongue etc.Mouthwash and salt water didn't help so got on 1 1/2 % peroxide which is helping.Just got a call that my 15 month old has "hoof & mouth"! Whow,I've heard of it but that's it. Come to find out he got it from some amish kids and was told there is a breakout here in this area.
So anyway,he'll be fine in a couple weeks,and that's what i got which is harder on adults and takes longer to get ride of! Nothing to do with my tooth,just happened at the same time/place(in my mouth).
Like I said we'll all be fine.No Foul,just be cautious if you are in this area!
Thanks all!

Wade
Years and years ago (about 30), one or our kids came down with the same thing. It is not a new virus. And it goes away. The Dr back then blamed the goats or the pits. Who knows????? All I know is that this too does come to pass.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
My daughter managed to get purpura, which is a rare reaction to a virus? It looked like someone had beaten her all over. It was gone in a week. Its another older thing that's not supossed to go around nowadays. Took four doctors to get it diagnosed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts