Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday like a fool I used a flat point shovel to scrape out expansion joint grass on the driveway and didn't use a glove "because it was only about 15 feet". Anyway at about 12 feet of the length I noticed my thumb , palm and index finger bubbling up but finished the strip.

one small blister popped as I went to the end of the strip but the others I healed by first remembering advice given to me by my grade school biology teacher to not pop friction blisters to give the body time to reabsorb the lymph fluid and let the skin contract.

After taking my shower and looking at those blister boils I decided to go to bed for a early afternoon nap and as I laid down on my mummy case it occurred to me that if I zipped up in it and heated up a little I would increase the fluid absorption through convection as I sweated a bit more without any physical exertion.

Two hours later when I woke from my nap the broken blister was already first stage brown callousing and the unbroken blisters had evaporated from the inside and the skin had tightened back down.

All I had to do was take another quick shower before going across town for dinner and rub a little dermasil lotion on my hand to soften the callous prone blister areas as they tightened and regrafted to the dermis layer.

I was due to wash that mummy case today anyway so the sweat out in it wasn't that big a deal.

So the next time you get friction blisters from using a idiot stick (as my grandfather called all long handled tools) like a fool without gloves, take a breather, drink some water and then wrap up in a sleeping bag or a quilt for a few hour sticky and warm nap. As you enjoy the after sweat out blister cure shower, you will be so happy as you realize the bubbled up skin is going back where it belongs.

We humans are 90 something percent water. If we use our brain we can flow that water in the direction to best heal some hurts that we cause to that water when we don't use that brain for just a little bit. :)

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Well, I'm glad you are getting better, but maybe on your next stop at the flea market you can buy a couple of dozen pairs of gloves and have them handy. But if you like sweltering in a bag in the dog days of August, happy sweating to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts