Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

If you live in east-central North America..its supposed to get really cold later this week or next.... just sayin'

You might want to check your own forcast and get the heatlamps and stuff ready.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
In Sacramento we saw 28F temp overnight. That's a cold snap here.

We bring our nest boxes in the house at night during the winter months as routine. The kits are easier to handle after imprinting on human noise/smell too.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Sacramento we saw 28F temp overnight. That's a cold snap here.

We bring our nest boxes in the house at night during the winter months as routine. The kits are easier to handle after imprinting on human noise/smell too.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

I think up by Maggie they may be talking 40 below. Heard -15 here in central Missouri. :(

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
28F would be a heat wave right about now. It was -17C this morning, I believe that is 0F and we're supposed to be getting highs of that by the end of the week.

Not looking forward to milking the goats this week. :mad:

I don't bring the rabbits in unless they're brand new and it's going to be bitterly cold - they've all survived so far!

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
28F would be a heat wave right about now. It was -17C this morning, I believe that is 0F and we're supposed to be getting highs of that by the end of the week.

Not looking forward to milking the goats this week. :mad:

I don't bring the rabbits in unless they're brand new and it's going to be bitterly cold - they've all survived so far!
The -15 and the -40 were in farenheit........

I think that translates to -26 and -40 (huh?) in Celsus. I never brought bunnies in ever (unless they were not being feed). But -40 is getting pretty close to "bitter" in anybodies language. I always would put an enclosed light bulb heater (18")below the nest box on the ground.

I am not trying to influence anyone to change their management. But some times I don't pay much attention to the weather until it hits only to find my heat lamp bulb is bad, etc.....thought some might appreciate a "heads up" if they hadn't seen a forecast.

·
Registered
964 Posts
-36c here, with highs of -25c during the day

The house will crack, the ground will sound like walking on styrofoam, and the smoke from the chimneys goes down instead of up. I'm just glad I don't live in the arctic and I decided to keep my rabbits in the house. I think each winter once the water starts to freeze outside I will bring them in.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I think that translates to -26 and -40 (huh?) in Celsus.
Yup, the two scales meet at -40. :D

My barn isn't too bad at the moment. I was actually quite surprised that the tap was not frozen this morning. Tonight, when I went out with warm water for the buns, several dishes were still 1/2 full and liquid. I guess all the warm goaties are keeping the barn nice and toasty for the rabbits. :)

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I am not trying to influence anyone to change their management. But some times I don't pay much attention to the weather until it hits only to find my heat lamp bulb is bad, etc.....thought some might appreciate a "heads up" if they hadn't seen a forecast.
Yes, the heads up is always in order.

Out here, I usually appreciate getting a heads up when the hot weather comes. A hot spell in early spring can be devastating, knocking down does and kits that were bred for spring/summer shows and auctions.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Oh yeah...I am so looking forward to these insanely low temps of below 0 plus wind chills.

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Thankfully, our temps for the next week will range between 20F (lows) and 55F (highs), although it's usually windy here, but I sure wish we'd get some rain or snow!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I'm going to round up some cardboard cartons for the buns, fill them with hay and close them up with just a rabbit-sized doorway cut in the end. The buns like this... nice cozy house to remodel. They'll chew them up, but it should make them more comfy during this cold snap.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think we must have gotten a break... last week they were saying a -12 to -15 here on Thursday, now they are only saying -2F..... doesn't hurt my feelings. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts