Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're taking a short trip to visit some Amish villages. Just wondering what kind of foodstuffs/homemaking items I should keep my eyes peeled for... we keep a stocked pantry, but I'm always looking to add more. TIA!

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Me, I'd be keeping a lookout for some handmade quilts.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Where are you going? Tom in Lancaster, PA

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I agree, handmade quilts. I would also look for cookbooks, dried herbs, etc. that could be given as Christmas, birthdays etc gifts.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
How about looking for a place for me to ride along with you? LOL I am jealous, I would love to go to the Amish communities!
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
627 Posts
We lived outside of Centreville Michigan which has a decent Amish community. I have been an Amish groupie all of my life...so living so near was a joy for me...but I was shocked to discover I was the only one in town who enjoyed seeing them. People complained that they smelled...their teenaged boys were out of control...it was a total bummer for me...but I still enjoyed living so close to them.

·
Registered
630 Posts
HEX signs.....
i always wanted to ride down the street in an Amish buggie... do they sell rides?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would love to spend a coupla days in an Amish area; don't think I could begin to handle a lot of their primitive lifestyle (would hafta give up my computer) :( but they have always fascinated me. Their strong faith & forgiveness (think bout the forgiving spirit after the school massacre) demands utmost admiration IMHO. I had a trip planned to the northeast this week (bee convention in Deleware) & planned to spend a little time in Amish country but had to cancel; a construction project is several weeks behind due to the rain we had for weeks on end (just got the slab poured Thursday for my new shop; they started forming it up 4 weeks ago) & my mni donkey looked like she was bout to pop her baby; had it the 31st so just don't wanna leave town for 2-3 weeks right now. Anyway, does anyone know of a concentration of Amish within "reasonable driving distance" of central TX?

Lew

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
deleted. I answered my own questions

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Amish are big on sweets(jams,pies,etc.) and woodworking too. Antique sales are a big thing in some Amish communities. Quilts are a big money maker for the women.

RF

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Look out for horse doo doo on the side of the road, and don't drive in it or you car will smell like doo doo.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. It's in southern Indiana north of Holiday World amusement park.

No quilts for me, though. Our decor is very modern and an Amish quilt would just totally clash. :)

I'll look out for the jams and jellies, as they are a favorite in this house. I'm interested in these HEX signs you guys are talking about... off to google about those.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Unless I've just been unlucky the days are long gone when you find any kind of bargains in Amish areas. You could find then years ago.What you do find is wonderful quality.I usually bring home local made cheeses. Some of their hardware stores carry little old world things you can normally only find in the Vermont Country Store catalog.Yes you can get buggy rides but they are set up for tourists not with Amish folks themsleves.
PQ

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Hand-crafted cheese is one of my favorite trade items. Also the Amish make wine and beer. We buy our hops from an Amish neighbor here.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
vickiesmom said:
We lived outside of Centreville Michigan which has a decent Amish community. I have been an Amish groupie all of my life...so living so near was a joy for me...but I was shocked to discover I was the only one in town who enjoyed seeing them. People complained that they smelled...their teenaged boys were out of control...it was a total bummer for me...but I still enjoyed living so close to them.
What did the Amish smell like? Hay, sweat, herbs, horse poop? I'm curious.

·
Registered
746 Posts
bumpus said:
Look out for horse doo doo on the side of the road, and don't drive in it or you car will smell like doo doo.
Beat me too it.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
I go to Amish country In Ohio alot.I take a cooler Number one.Then I go to the Bulk food stores to stock up on baking and canning goods.One item is clear gel for pie fillings.Spices and cookie baking supplies for holidays.You will want to take a pairing knife and club crackers to snack on cheese on the way home. :)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
booklover said:
It's in southern Indiana north of Holiday World amusement park.
Oh my word, HOLIDAY WORLD! LOL Is that still there?
I grew up in Eastern Kentucky and we would go there occasionally as a child. :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
The Mennonite bulk food that we have gone to has good prices on spices, Jello, powdered cheese, and baking goods.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts