Head to Twisted-Off Balance Doe

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by HesterDaddy, Nov 26, 2005.

1. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

I have a Doe who in the last 24 hours has developed a problem where her head is twisting to the side. She's only a couple of years old and is in a wire cage with another doe. They've been outside in the barn, sheltered from wind and the temperature has dipped slightly to the low 30's only a couple of times. I put her in a smaller cage to bring her inside and she seemd to have a very hard time standing upright and getting her balance. Her energy seems to be fine and it seems as if she's eating. I thought about mold in her feed, but the other rabbit is just fine.

I could use any thoughts that anyone might have.

Mark

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

3. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

If it's not wry neck, you might also want to check her ears for ear mites - I had a buck suddenly holding his head at an uncomfortable angle and I discovered that the ear on that side had a nasty ear mite infestation. How he got them, I'm not sure, since he'd never been to a show and none of my other rabbits appeared to have ear mites (though I treated everyone in his area of the rabbitry to be on the safe side), and I'd had him for almost a year when it happened. :confused: The only thing I can think of is that he had a very mild case of them when he showed up and one day they decided to throw a party. :viking:

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I am sorry that I am no help, just wanted to say that I will pray for your little bunny to get better, and that if they are ear mights you :viking: them.

5. Maggie

Maggie Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh my word! This has happened to one of my CA does in the past week...I will be sure to check her ears this morning. I'll also check the site re. wryneck. Thanks, Maggie

6. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

It does sound like wry neck. You CAN get her through the illness with some patience and care. If she can more or less stand upright and eat and drink on her own, she's doing OK - I've seen much worse than that! Over time, a rabbit can recover completely from the illness - that said, I wouldn't breed her. I do think susceptibility to wry neck is hereditary.

Good luck!!

7. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

We had a rabbit with wryneck once, I believe we gave her penicillin, and it cleared up. It never passed to any of her babies, it's not always genetic, but it can be hereditary. I would look up on the wryneck site, if it's that severe and sudden it's most likely not ear mites.