Head Tilt

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Sue, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I have a weaned three month old lamb that I noticed had a little head tilt to him today. Upon closer observation, his head was twitching almost like he had the hiccups but it was a head twitch. He is bright and alert and ate dinner with gusto. One eyelid looks a little droopy on just one side.

I caught him, took his temp. ~ 104.5 so I gave Pen G, Dexamethasone, and Vit. B complex. The rest of the lambs in his bunch look fine.

Any ideas? In hundreds of lambs over the years, I have never come across anything like this.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You did what I would have done. Sounds a little like the early stages of Listeria, could he have gotten some mouldy feed?

3. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

No mold in the grain as I mix it all myself.

Our hay is in big round bales like every year and there are always bales with a little mold but we feed pretty liberally so they never seem to touch anything but the "prime" stuff! I was thinking listeriosis was from bad silage.

4. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

UPDATE: Today this ram lamb is looking normal. His head is straight and no twitching/jerking today. His eyelid that was drooping yesterday is back to normal. I will continue to treat with Pen G and B complex for a few more days. Still wish I knew for sure what it is . . .

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Technically its any moldy feed but mostly moldy silage as I understand it. It still could have been and by acting quickly you prevented a serious problem.