Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a dried beans canning recipe off here many years ago now and have canned them twice now and now I can't remember HOW MUCH of a head space I need on them. I'm suppose to presoak them the night before it says in the recipe but it didn't give the head space to leave, once filling the jars with the water. Since they ARE presoaked they shouldn't swell any. I just can't remember how much I left before. Having fits with my thyroids and it's messing with my memory. :( Hoping someone might be able to tell me. I was thinking maybe just fill to the neck of the jar so that would leave like an inch headspace.

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
I got a dried beans canning recipe off here many years ago now and have canned them twice now and now I can't remember HOW MUCH of a head space I need on them. I'm suppose to presoak them the night before it says in the recipe but it didn't give the head space to leave, once filling the jars with the water. Since they ARE presoaked they shouldn't swell any. I just can't remember how much I left before. Having fits with my thyroids and it's messing with my memory. :( Hoping someone might be able to tell me. I was thinking maybe just fill to the neck of the jar so that would leave like an inch headspace.
Oh, but they will! I fill the jars about 2/3 with soaked beans and top off to within 1" with water. They will absorb most of that water.

Many people report that the seals fail on jars of beans. From my experience, it's the lack of enough water in the jars. In the Ball guide, if canning baked beans, the recipe says to make the beans "soupy". That made all the difference for mine.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I think all pressure canned foods are 1" headspace. And oh yes, they'll still swell. I'm still trying to get it right, either I get a 1/2 jar of beans in liquid or the beans are sticking up out of the liquid. But they are all edible and delicious!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts