Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ya"ll nice people in the computer. I have question aout head gate. My family will have a mini jersey heifers , calf and steer . My question is do you need one and will the vet work without one.:lonergr:
Thank you to the people in the computer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I really don't think you do, but maybe you might want to halter break them. If you really need one, you can make them out of wood. To suit the size of the animal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't have head gates.

Based on the fact that you are going for mini-jerseys, I'm guessing that this is basically a pet project. Your cows will become tame enough for you to put on a harness and then cinch them to a fencepost. That is all the vet will need.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
greenhome (in-the-computer:D)

You are going to want SOME way to contain those cows for vaccinations, etc. A squeeze chute or something.

Are you going to be milking your cows? You can train them all to go into the milking stall for their vet work.

The vet will want some kind of containment for them, yes.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
As said you will will want something to confine them in. Assume they have something wedged into their hoof, or you need to dehone something later on, etc.

You want one for your and the cows safety

Each vet is different. When I started, I did not have anything, the the vet would sooner or later get here. Now that I build a system with a headgate, my vet comes whenever I need him to. He know he will be about to get in and out quick and he is safe working here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.