he is here

Discussion in 'Goats' started by susanne, Nov 24, 2004.

1. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

my little buck is here and the girls are harassing him. also he has some scabs on th inside of his ears and over his eyes. not sure about what it is. non open wounds. can't se any parasites but that doesn't mean anything? :rolleyes:
    susanne

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

A little mineral oil in the ears will get mites....around his eyes is wierd to me....
    Does his coat look like dandruff? If so he needs to be treated for lice...the other goats can get it but not people.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

With scabs, you could easily be looking at soremouth. I'd quarantine him for sure. Make him a temporary shelter, like a plywood A-frame, in an area that gets lots of moisture. When he's better in a month or so, you can take the shelter down and scrub it. Soremouth doesn't survive well in wet areas, but scab material can remain contagious for years if it's dry.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

he came from a very wet condition and his mouth looks fine to me.
    maybe i didn't describe very well. his coat feels like a baby lamm, very soft on the surface but if i go a little bit deeper it feels crusty on his skin. an his ear canal is clean it is the outer part of his ears that feels weird. if you look at him with out touching you don't see anything.
    one of his backleg is infectet so i gave him penicilin today cut the hoof and cleaned it. hope it will be better soon. he is a cute little buck. still shy. i pet him every day and hope i can gain his trust.
    susanne