Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local TV station did a test tonight to show us old folks what will happen when the analog signal is turned off...they shut it off for about 15 seconds..and YES, every durn TV set went blank, just like it was when I was growing up, and Mom would tell us to look for the white cat in the snow storm...LOL...just static....so now, I have to buy a converter box plus the new antenna. I just wish they would leave things be, I am too old to conform anymore. Our cable to the town was turned OFF, company could not afford to keep going, turned off three towns, so we just got the old anteanna up and got it going...now we will have to do it all over in 100 days.

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
Our local TV station did a test tonight to show us old folks what will happen when the analog signal is turned off...they shut it off for about 15 seconds..and YES, every durn TV set went blank, just like it was when I was growing up, and Mom would tell us to look for the white cat in the snow storm...LOL...just static....so now, I have to buy a converter box plus the new antenna. I just wish they would leave things be, I am too old to conform anymore. Our cable to the town was turned OFF, company could not afford to keep going, turned off three towns, so we just got the old anteanna up and got it going...now we will have to do it all over in 100 days.
If you have an outdoor antenna set up, it's worth applying for the coupon for the converter box... you may get a digital signal. The coupon is free and it will work with your tv.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
We have dish network, but have the set in the basement living room on antenna because we lose satellite during storms (when you want to watch the weather the most!) We got a converter box a few months ago. Pretty cool! Every channel we were getting, we get so much clearer! Of course, we see occasional digital artifacts on the screen, but not a big deal.

The thing I like best about it is that each channel is streaming multiple programs on the same digital channel. So, for example, channel 8 might be CBS... but digital 8.1 is streaming one program, 8.2 another, and 8.3 another. So we are getting about 2 - 3 times the channels we were just getting in analog. Cool!

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
We have dish network, but have the set in the basement living room on antenna because we lose satellite during storms (when you want to watch the weather the most!) We got a converter box a few months ago. Pretty cool! Every channel we were getting, we get so much clearer! Of course, we see occasional digital artifacts on the screen, but not a big deal.

The thing I like best about it is that each channel is streaming multiple programs on the same digital channel. So, for example, channel 8 might be CBS... but digital 8.1 is streaming one program, 8.2 another, and 8.3 another. So we are getting about 2 - 3 times the channels we were just getting in analog. Cool!
What kind of antenna do you have? Do you live pretty close to the city?

·
HomesteadHopefuls
709 Posts
we got the coupons,,the box cost us $10.00

hooked it up,lost 4 of our 7 channels
unhooked the box got 6 of the 7 back

but we don't watch it much anyway,
we check the weather mostly..
and watch dvd s

sorry Granny,
do apply for the coupon
I hear the boxes make a dif. in some peoples channels
(in a good way)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
What kind of antenna do you have? Do you live pretty close to the city?
We're up to 100 miles away from the stations, some closer. We have an aerial antenna up in the attic.

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
We're up to 100 miles away from the stations, some closer. We have an aerial antenna up in the attic.
Man, I just can't figure it out... there are a lot of people that are closer to stations, have outdoor aerial antennas and can't get a digital signal for nothing.

One thing I've noticed here. My HDTV (I've got a small 15 inch that we had bought for our table top display) doesn't receive signals as strong on the same antenna as my analog TV. I can set it right on top of the other tv, attach the antenna to it and it won't get half the stations that the analog does.

I think it may be the built-in interference by the computer processor (It also has a built in DVD player).

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
you know I can't think of anything more wasteful than this. never mind that unemployment is high, that people in THIS country are going to bed at night hungry, that people are homeless......the government NEEDS to change the way tv is viewed. Boy they sure have their priorities in order. we have cable so we should be ok with this but ya know what? If we're not then we'll just start listening to the radio at night! Cause I'm not buying new tvs or boxes!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Cause I'm not buying new tvs or boxes!
Even if you don't use it right away, go ahead and get your coupons for free digital converter boxes and buy the boxes. That way you'll have them (for free) in case you ever get rid of cable. Our TV that we have the box on is about 15 years old and it receives through the boxes just fine.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
For starters I believe that you mean Digital TV and not High Definition Television.

Why is change coming? Analog television uses a lot of frequency band width and the conversion is to free up much of that band width for other purposes---some for emergency communication by EMS, police, and fire crews. There is no doubt in my mind that all of the band width usage by cell phone users had a large part to play in the switch. Ready to give up cell phones in order to have analog television?

The government is selling many of the frequencies that will become available, and for big bucks. Google has indicated some interest so that it can provide national wireless Internet. Some of the potential bidders make it sound like they will put the frequencies while others so, so.

A local station did a news story this past weekend and they admitted that some fringe area television viewers will lose all signal after the switch, i.e. too deep of fringe for any antenna to work to any satisfaction. As for me I gained 3 channels with a converter although I do have some signal loss at times which renders trying to watch a show to frustrating to continue. I however have not re-aimed my antenna in an attempt to pick up the weakest signals.

I feel badly for those that will lose all signal after the switch but don't know that there is any reasonably priced answer. In western Kansas where there are few stations and repeaters I expect many will be without television unless they get satellite. Thankfully the flat relatively treeless plains do provide good satellite signal.

Bottom line--best wishes to all. Perhaps you can watch programming via updated Internet service provider and a television tuner in your computer, but of course for many there are no updated providers available.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
One thing I've noticed here. My HDTV (I've got a small 15 inch that we had bought for our table top display) doesn't receive signals as strong on the same antenna as my analog TV. I can set it right on top of the other tv, attach the antenna to it and it won't get half the stations that the analog does.
That's probably because digital is all-or-nothing. So, a snowy channel you might get on analog wouldn't come in at all on digital.

The channel that is about 100 miles away is a religious channel... maybe they're more interested in people getting their channel than the network channels so they have a stronger signal? :confused:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Oh, I understand how it works (the Digital Drop Out), I just don't get how it varies so much from region to region... no one around here gets digital tv.
I'm in the flats of the Midwest... nary even a hill between here and the TV stations. That could be the reason... terrain.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
When we first hooked up the converter box we got zero channels when we'd had five. We were bummed out BUT - we ran the autoscan channel thingy on the TV and then ran the autoscan on the converter box again and now we get all of our original channels plus 6 more, so those of you who aren't getting anything might try doing that.

G

·
The government is selling many of the frequencies that will become available, and for big bucks.

That's what it's all about.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Even if you don't use it right away, go ahead and get your coupons for free digital converter boxes and buy the boxes. That way you'll have them (for free) in case you ever get rid of cable. Our TV that we have the box on is about 15 years old and it receives through the boxes just fine.
We thought of doing that, then decided against it. Within a few years people will be buying new sets that are HDTV, digital, or whatever & the converter boxes will be given away or sold for 50 cents at yard sales.

We don't get signals here anyway, but if we decide to put up an antenna, we'll get the converter then. And save the government $40 in taxpayer money.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
we got the coupons,,the box cost us $10.00

hooked it up,lost 4 of our 7 channels
unhooked the box got 6 of the 7 back
Did you let the box do its own scan for the channels?
Cause if you didn't you would not know the NEW digital channels Numbers. Those New Channels are NOT the same number as the old analog ones. the Old channel you may have gotten was say channel 18. NOW under the digital signal channel that same channel is NOW 18.1~! yes there is a Point in some of the them.
25.3, 13.1,,,,13.2 and so on so you also MUST use the Remote that came with the converter box so you CAN put in the 13 Point 1
and so on. As the remote that came with your older TVs do not have a decimal point in the number pad to use.~!
And That is also why you must set the converter box up to SCAN for these channels~! And one of the reasons some on here are saying they are losing so many channels as they are not letting the converter box scan for channels, or do not know the NEW Channel numbers of their local TV Stations~!
Also many folks are getting HDTV and DTV mixed up or think they are the same thing.
DTV is Digital Television
HDTV is High Definition Television
They are different
ALL HDTVs are Digital
But not ALL Digital television are High Def ones.
this also goes for the Signal
All HDTV signals are High Def Ones.
But Not all DTV Signals are in High Def.
And Not ALL DTV's are HDTVs either.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Won't make a jot of difference to us as we don't have tv.

Rose
We have a TV. Not sure why. It is in the storage room. We live what? 20 mi. from Seattle (by Ferry) and I don't think it picks up anyway. It is not because of distance, it is because of very large trees. We live on an island in a clearing in those tall washington trees. But we are surrounded by them. At the beach, the sun goes down at 5:15 or so right now? The beach is less than a mile from my house. At my house we loose light at least 30 min. earlier because of the trees. I think most people here have cable. We just don't want to watch TV bad enough to actually pay for it. If we want to watch something, from time to time, we use fancast. It is free and comes on when we want it to.
Cindyc.

Cindyc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts