Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a nutshell, I want to be able to monitor my security system and make changes using my laptop and a tv/monitor. Here's my situation. Sorry it's so wordy. My laptop was dropped and the screen has annoying black lines making it difficult to see what I'm clicking, so I use an older flatscreen smart TV as a monitor (about a 20" screen), connected to the laptop with an HDMI cord. My laptop has only 1 HDMI port, but the monitor/tv has two, so I connect the laptop into one of the ports, and the security system into the other. But, I can only make changes with the security system by plugging in a mouse to it, and seeing what I'm doing on the tv screen. I can also connect the security system to my laptop and make changes that way, but those black lines make it impossible to see what I'm doing (too expensive to repair right now).

My problem is that the security system fan is very loud, so I keep it in a closet. I have a long HDMI cord, so I can view what's going on by switching the HDMI view on the monitor at my desk, but I have to take the tv/monitor into the closet to make changes because I can only make changes using the mouse and the screen.

Is there some kind of device that can go between all the HDMI cords so that I can use my laptop to make the changes instead of the mouse? Maybe something that can plug into a USB port on my laptop that has an HDMI input so I can plug the security system into my computer??? My idea is that the security system would be going through my computer instead of directly to the tv/monitor, and I could keep the laptop connected to the tv/monitor as I usually have it anyway. Would that work? Or would I need something else. If I did that, I'd only be using one port on the monitor, so I'm not sure how I'd switch back and forth between the security system and regular laptop use. Or maybe on my laptop, it would show up just like a flash drive or anything else plugged into a USB port, so I could click that to view it on the monitor. ???? Or is there some kind of switch device? I just want to be able to control the cameras from my laptop at the desk instead of having to take the monitor into the closet and use the mouse each time I need to make a change.

Sorry for the long post. I'm sure there's a simpler way to describe this, but I am so low tech! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I've got a 2020 Macbook Pro. I don't know what you have for plugins on that old of a machine but I bought an adapter for mine that allows for additional plugins. Not sure if they have anything available for that time period.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Robin.
I found this on amazon. Would this make it so I can plug the security system into the HDMI port, and the adaptor into a USB port on my laptop --- and the laptop stays connected to my tv/monitor to see and control everything. ??? Here's a link. Looks simple and inexpensive, and says it works with a Mac. Amazon.com: DIGITNOW Audio Video Capture Cards 1080P HDMI to USB 2.0 Record to DSLR Camcorder Action Cam,Computer for Gaming, Streaming, Teaching, Video Conference or Live Broadcasting: Computers & Accessories

·
Registered
333 Posts
You didn't provide any information about your security system. However if your security system is network attached and has a web interface (and a lot of them do), you may be able to use your laptop connected to the tv to remote access your security system. Maybe.

Reactions: akhomesteader

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The security system connects to the internet modem with an ethernet cord (cat 7). No bluetooth capabilities on the security system. I have an app on my phone so that I can see what's going on and receive alerts when I'm away.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If you have an available open USB port it looks like that would allow for a second HDMI plugin. This is very similar to what I have on mine: Adapter The difference is mine is a two pin. And will only accept one HDMI.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I kept thinking if the mouse's USB cord were longer, that would make things simple, and then discovered that there are USB extensions. A passive USB extender was only about $10. There were lots of reviews with it being used with a mouse to control a security system set up in another room, so I think this will work. Much less expensive than an adaptor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts