Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of ordering a dvd, but it is listed as HD DVD. Will that play on my non-hd dvd player connected to my non-hd tv?
thanks,
technologically illiterate

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I'm thinking of ordering a dvd, but it is listed as HD DVD. Will that play on my non-hd dvd player connected to my non-hd tv?
thanks,
technologically illiterate
No it won't~! Now did it say HD-DVD? Or HD- Blu-ray DVD?
Because there is ONLY ONE now that has survived and that is Blu-ray HD DVDs
You can not buy HD DVDs players anymore the studios are not making them in HD-DVD, Only in Blu-ray with is HD~! DVDs
They are 2 separate Formats, neither of which will play on a standard DVD player, nor can they play on each other players either.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
To expand on this a little:

If you were not aware there was recently a format war in the high definition DVD market. The two formats were "HD-DVD" and "Blu-Ray". HD-DVD lost so now Blu-Ray is the standard format for high definition DVDs. This is just like what happened with VHS and Betamax in the early 80s. There were many movies released on HD-DVD as well as players for that format which may still be out in stores, particularly on clearance or closeout. Any of these HD-DVD discs and players are now obsolete so don't bother buying them unless you want them for a showpiece or for curiousity's sake.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
So true,, I just got a Blu-ray player a few months ago and LOVE it works great with my new 1080p LCD Sony~! Absolutely love it. Can't wait till more Blu-ray DVDs are made and the price start dropping. They are quite a bit higher in price then Standard DVDs but even the older DVDs look pretty dern good on Blu-ray players as they Upscale the picture to 1080p. But it IS better to have it straight across to the TV in 1080p.
I waiting until I KNEW that Blu-ray was the winner before I bought one.
Gee are they ever high tech~! To get updates to the firmware, you can cable them up to your router (the Blu-ray player has a ethernet input), and bingo it goes "online", downloads the updates, and installs them, all by itself~! COOL~!

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really don't know how I miss all this stuff, but I certainly appreciate the updates.
Thanks!
mary

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Blue Ray movies on a really good big screen 1080P television are downright stunning. Makes you never want to go to a movie theater again.

Don't have one yet. Planning on it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts