Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out a couple of times this week and see that we've got another good crop of hazel nuts.

Does anyone pick them? How do you process them?

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Let the hulls dry, remove and crack. We really like to oven roast the nut in a little butter, with a teaspoon of bacon grease, sprinkle with sea salt....James

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Dry them then grab a handful to snack on. They are my favorite nut to cook with. A lady I knew sold hazelnut flour. I used to put in cookie dough etc. Gave a nice nutty flavor.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
We pick them by the buckets, then hull them on the front porch. Then we store them in a dry place till needed. We use a lot just as a snack food, but we like roasting them and crushing them on brownies, ice cream, or what have you.

We have the prickly beaked hazlenuts, and hulling them are not for the meek or soft skinned. Guess who does the hulling and spends the rest of the day itching and rubbing his fingers???

We have a poorer crop than normal it looks like, as well as a week later than normal due to global warming issues that include cool and very wet conditions for most of the year.

They are so worth it, so unique in flavor...

·
Premium Member
15,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rarely see many nuts on the bushes and nearly all have worm holes but last year was a bumper crop and this year looks good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts