Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much alfalfa should 2 alpine does need during about a 6 month winter? I will be breeding her in December so the last half she will be pregnant.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You're breeding one, but not the other? Is that correct? I would figure their hay at 5 lbs per day until the bred doe hits about 3 to 4 months along, then kick it up to 6 lbs/day.

Non bred doe - 185 days(adjust for months with 31 days) X 5 lbs/day = 925 lbs. Divide that by what your bales weigh to get the number of bales you will need.

Bred doe - 92 days X 5 lbs/day = 460 lbs. 61 days X 6 lbs/day = 366 lbs. 460 + 366 = 826 lbs of hay. Again - divide by the weight of your bales to get the number of bales.

ETA: I would also increase the number of bales I bought by maybe 20 to 25 to allow for possible bad bales, hay accidentally getting wet, kids, eating more if your area is very cold, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're breeding one, but not the other? Is that correct? I would figure their hay at 5 lbs per day until the bred doe hits about 3 to 4 months along, then kick it up to 6 lbs/day.

Non bred doe - 185 days(adjust for months with 31 days) X 5 lbs/day = 925 lbs. Divide that by what your bales weigh to get the number of bales you will need.

Bred doe - 92 days X 5 lbs/day = 460 lbs. 61 days X 6 lbs/day = 366 lbs. 460 + 366 = 826 lbs of hay. Again - divide by the weight of your bales to get the number of bales.

ETA: I would also increase the number of bales I bought by maybe 20 to 25 to allow for possible bad bales, hay accidentally getting wet, kids, eating more if your area is very cold, etc.
Sorry I'm breeding both of them.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
We are feeding our very fat girls 5 pounds of good alfalfa hay a day...they were just bred. We only up it when it is very cold outside and they need to keep the furnace running on high. They have not suffered from this so far...the oldest is 5 years. We commonly have triplets and last year one set of quads...all kids sold this year and all doing fine. We have no grass pasture...all woods with some tall weeds, lots of acorns normally in the fall and early winter months...so no need for grain until roughly a month before kidding. So much depends on your personal property.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts