Hay Stretcher?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever used a Hay Stretcher? My feed store has one that is pretty cheap and I really do need to stretch my hay! lol It doesn't seem to be anything special, probably just a bit of this and that but the bag has a picture of a cow on it. Is there anything that is typically fed to cows that should never be fed to goats? Do you think it's safe as long as they eat all their other good stuff? Can I use it a s a treat? I just wondered if I could try a little while I wait for my alfalfa.

2. Croenan

Well, I haven't heard anyone say no...so I guess I am going to try it. I will let you know if I see anything weird! Wish me luck.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I sometimes purchase a product called Horsequik...its a complete feed for show horses...12% protien....but it isnt cheap about the same as sweet16% but with alfalfa mixed in as roughage. 7.60$ a bag 50lb

4. Croenan

I bought some, curious to see what it was and opened it up and it looks EXACTLY like my feed....now I am puzzled! Sad thing is, it was about half the price of my feed. If I knew that it was 100% good stuff, I'd buy a bunch while it was so cheap.

Our local hay is not very good right now and my kids are fighting me on eating it. (its very noisy on my farm these days!) Alfalfa should be getting cut soon!