Hay rack help please...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by SDjulieinSC, Dec 1, 2006.

1. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

Trixie and Tito are in need of a hay rack. As they have no thumbs and are therefore unable to drive, I took it upon myself to check out what Tractor Supply had to offer. In addition to no thumbs the goats have no income, so purchasing said hay rack falls on me. WOW...Tractor Supply is sure proud of their hay racks!!! I feel they are a bit out of my price range at this time.
    What do YOU use? Photo's would be great.
    I'm not much of a builder and the boyfriend is not much of a helper so keep it simple!!! Even without the thumbs the goats may well be better carpenters than I !!!
    THANKS

2. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

3. SDjulieinSC

Those look a lot more like the price range I am comfortable with!! THANKS
    What do you think of the mineral feeder they show? I have the PVC feeder direction (thanks to you kind folks), but was wondering if this would work better. There I go spending $ again, gotta get those goats a ss# and some gov't assistance.............or at least claim them on my taxes.

4. GoatLove

Glad I could help! Oh, I also have that mineral feeder and it is awesome too! Really well made. I hear ya about spending money on the goats, my husband almost passed out when he saw that I bought that mineral feeder :rolleyes:

5. SDjulieinSC

We have the "don't ask, don't tell" rule in place at my house.

6. GoatLove

I hear ya. I am good with the "don't tell" part!

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I use a 3 1/2' section of hog panel attached at an angle in the corner of the pen. I can make four feeders from a 16' hog panel - total cost, $5 each. If you show, these are nice because they can be attached in the corner of a show pen, and they stack flat for transporting.

8. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

Our pens are made our of the 4" square goat panels, I attached sections of 2' wide lattice panels on the outside of the goat panels, the goats pull the hay thru the 4" squares and waste very little. Of course I did this as the lattice was available (already paid for and not used for whatever was intended) so it was meant to be temporary but has worked so well we keep using it as we add new pens. This may not help you though if you don't have panel or fence pens to use it on.

9. SDjulieinSC

My goats are in a chain link fence. Wonder why it never dawned on me to just put something on the outside and let them pull it through? Can't tell you how many times I've read someones post and thought "what a dumb question!", guess I'm the dummy this time!! :rolleyes: Just goes to show ya (me) , shouldn't be so quick to judge!
    Thanks!

10. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I just bought two of those racks at one of the local feed mills. I haven't installed them yet, but I'm hoping they'll work on the calf huts I use in addition to the barn.

Ruth

11. Cloverbud

Cloverbud Well-Known Member

My goaties are in a horse stall, and we mounted a metal milk crate to hold the horse's water bucket. The crate is the perfect size and height to hold 1 flake of hay for them to browse.

12. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

The front portion holding the hay in place is just a piece of 4x4 inch hog panel. Total cost maybe $5.00...Tennessee John

[​IMG]

13. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

ooo I like that one.......where were you when I was trying to build mine! lol I am happy with mine but it was a bit complicated for me with my powertool handy cap (had never used one before!)