Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wife, mom and doula
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we moved in here last month, the previous owners laft some medium quality grass hay behind that was cut last fall I think. They said they'd been feeding their horses with it but it didn't look good enough for that. So, we are planning on buying a cow/calf pair in the spring...could that hay be fed next year to them? Or should i just sell it and buy new when the time comes? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I see your in eastern WA like I am. I always cover my hay or it is junk by January. I've fed hay the is 3 or 4 years old, but was covered and it was OK. Even if it is old hay, but not moldy and rotting I would cover it real good and feed it when the time comes.

Bobg

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
Even covered hay will loose quality over time, but will last a lot longer than hay left out in the weather. If the hay was in a barn it should be good for 2 or 3 years anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Feed it. Would be a good idea to supplement with good minerals and FRESH vit A

·
Rattlin Rock Ranch
298 Posts
I feed grass hay to all my animals!!! If it has been covered all it has lost is some nutritinal value!!! If it hasn't been covered it has lost more of it and more than likely will have some mold!!! If it was covered even though last years, I would still feed it to my horses!!! The outside of the bales bleach with age wether covered or not!! And the insides will still be green and nice!!! If it where me. I would keep it open a bale and see what it has inside. And then feed it to them along with some fresher hay!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.