Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sweet sweet dh went and got me 30 bales 2nd cut dairy hay, For my christmas gift. Now the only guy we know who is willing to sell "pure alfalfa hay" in small square bales like we need by us, Well I just dont trust this guy. He tried to screw us on a cow. and a few other things. Well I get the hay and I want to cry. Dh has no clue what to look for in hay. I smelled it, it smelled of dust, Not sweet like I know alfalfa to smell like, Was golden not green and I didnt see realy any leaf. It looks like more of chopped straw. I would have walked away if I was there. My girls are not impressed. It just slipps threw the feeder to the floor. So more wasted hay. Please tell me if i was just Screwed. When it gets warmer out Ill go and get a pic.
I feel screwed. The guy I normaly get my hay from dosent have the alfalfa that I needed. I want to call him and see if he will come and look at what I got. Im so hormonal, its that time. And dh feels bad because Im not happy with my hay.:Bawling:
Any one have 2 cut dairy grade alfalfa hay pictures you can show me??

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He hugged me and said he was sorry The hay was not what I was expecting. The guy wasnt even there he left what my husband was allowed to have under an over hang. DO you have a pic of it in a bale??? Cut open mabie? Dh feels horrible. Im trying to cheer him up. He tries so hard and breaks his back for me.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Dairy quality alfalfa should be a very bright green with very little or no bleaching (golden color) certainly with no mold or dusty smell. It should look like the above picture of the green alfalfa, except pressed flat and dried. It's a premium type of hay, and if you paid a premium type of price, I would return it.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
We have "hay issues" here too. We have had many a tense moment about it. It took awhile, but finally DH is taking me seriously about how important it is for me to have good quality hay. He said I should wear a T-shirt that says "Very Picky About Hay" on it when I go to hay sales. My neighbor finally learned too...I have purchased a lot from him and he has had to come back and take some back that wasn't good enough for me. So he and DH make sure that I'm "happy" before stacking any hay in the barn...if I'm "unhappy" it gets returned. DH says I'm obsessed. So what...it's not worth it for a bad bale of hay to make any of my critters sick. I'm only obsessed with 3 things...1. saddle fit on my horse 2. Everything about my goats 3. good quality hay. The hay you got sounds like crap. The thought was wonderful on your DH's part. But it's not like getting an ugly sweater and grinning and bearing it for his sake. He learned a good lesson. Some things you have to pick out yourself. Just tell him how much you love him...he'll get over it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
We have "hay issues" here too. We have had many a tense moment about it. It took awhile, but finally DH is taking me seriously about how important it is for me to have good quality hay. He said I should wear a T-shirt that says "Very Picky About Hay" on it when I go to hay sales. My neighbor finally learned too...I have purchased a lot from him and he has had to come back and take some back that wasn't good enough for me. So he and DH make sure that I'm "happy" before stacking any hay in the barn...if I'm "unhappy" it gets returned. DH says I'm obsessed. So what...it's not worth it for a bad bale of hay to make any of my critters sick. I'm only obsessed with 3 things...1. saddle fit on my horse 2. Everything about my goats 3. good quality hay. The hay you got sounds like crap. The thought was wonderful on your DH's part. But it's not like getting an ugly sweater and grinning and bearing it for his sake. He learned a good lesson. Some things you have to pick out yourself. Just tell him how much you love him...he'll get over it. :)
LOL you sound just like me

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
DH says when that kinda hay is yellow, it probably got rained on and then sit in the sun so long again it's bleached out. it can loose some of its feed value.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Don't buy from that clown. You've been burned by him in the past, I wouldn't buy from him on a matter of principle. Sometimes principles are expensive and inconvenient in the short term. In the long run they work.

I feel sorry for your husband. Either get him really worked up so he goes over and kicks that vendors ass clear around the block, or otherwise just tell him he's the greatest husband ever, because it sounds like he really did try hard.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hugged kissed and snuggled my sweet dh.Told him hes the stud of my universe. He is so wonderful. The farmer I normaly get hay from baled this guys hay. We are going to have said farmer over to inspect the hay and have him kick his butt. They are neighbors. Im miss picky about my animals food for what they produce is our food. AND Im super picky on what we eat. I get all my grain from for mentioned farmer. He is a true upstanding man and farmer not to mention my childrens god father and all around wonderful man. Yall near Tomah WI need GREAT beef and horse hay let me know this guy has the best stuff. WILL NOT screw any one. He is the reason we knew said man was trying to screw us on the cow. He was there with my dh inspecting the cows.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ironically, this guy probably brags around how great entrepreneur he is...

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ironically, this guy probably brags around how great entrepreneur he is...
The worst part hes a DR. God only knows what he tells his patients to get more money out of them. No to mention hes a DR. for our disabled vets. He hates his job no less. At thanks giving he complaind endlessly about his job.

Ill need help to post pics. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
It's the learning curve. Chaulk it up to experience. The best life lessons are learned just this way.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That is first cut hay with grass. I see some alfalfa in there but not much. Been rained on at least once, too.

2nd, 3rd, 4th cut alfalfa in the Tomah area should be bright green with a whole bunch of leaves and no grass. Too hot to feed to anything but dairy cows.

I grew up a bit south of Tomah.

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i will be calling him and "discussing the situation".
Thank you for the compliments on my blog.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts