Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't forget to take the netting off of your round bales and discard. Friends 600lb calf, fine in AM., dead in PM.
Autopsied stomach. Found the netting. Couldn't pass through all 4 chambers,,,, Just a reminder for all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How lazy are people that they can't take net wrap off? It makes for better shaped bales, easier to haul etc. I've never had an issue with this.. put it on bale spear, cut at bottom on long side and pull it off....
nothing to do with laziness, we just like less work and we have no trouble with using sisal. if you cant get a nice tight round bale using sisal than you need a new baler. the downside to sisal is cost and if stored outside it will rot out. a couple customers do want poly but only because they store their hay outside.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for the record, They didn't leave it on a bale actually. It was in an old pasture grass had grown through it. So someone down the line apparently left it out... Generally, No one who spends $ on a cow autopsy does stupid stuff like leaving net on hay.... :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just for the record, They didn't leave it on a bale actually. It was in an old pasture grass had grown through it. So someone down the line apparently left it out... Generally, No one who spends $ on a cow autopsy does stupid stuff like leaving net on hay.... :)
yep we used to store some of our hay in a pasture that we would shut of in the wintertime. when we picked bales up we would sometimes have the netting freeze to the ground ripping some of it off the bale. had to make sure we got it all before we turned the cows out in the spring. its not worth the worry.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm finding pieces all over my new property. I've been picking it up when I see it. People with horses leave it because horses are generally too picky to eat it. This pasture had horses prior to us purchasing --- cow will eat anything except his on poop :)
In any event, for the people who maybe didn't know....

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
A good reminder. Even with sisal twine, although I haven't seen a big bale wrapped with twine in quite awhile - we cut them off before feeding the bale. They can get it wrapped around a leg or something. It isn't safe to leave strings or netting on the hay, period.

Our procedure is, stab the bale and lift it, remove the twine/netting, then drive it thru the gate to feed it.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Cowpoke, I have horses and do self care. I feel square bales. But, when I took over this field, I had to pull out old baling twine and netting from several spots. While the horses don't eat it, it will get wrapped around blades on a mower. I still occasionally find the odd piece in the field.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, Dizzy I hear ya. We had some dozer work done and a load of dirt brought in, it had sprinkler heads and septic hose all in it. My goats love this mess! Lol

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
I don't care much for net wrap. My prime hay feeding time is when inclement weather is happening. Getting net wrap up when it is integrated with an ice slab next to impossible. Twine isn't easy, either, but I can at least manage it.

The issue in the OP doesn't go away with poly twine, by the way. It will knot up in a belly. The last batch I bought was made with YELLOW twine. You absolutely can not see it when it is in the hay. It took me close to late winter to learn how to keep it collected as I removed it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lazy ? Bag after bag after bag of net wrap heading to landfills to sit for the next 100 years or sisal which works just as well but degrades in one season. I rank net wrap right up there with plastic bottles and Walmart bags what a waste.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Don't forget to take the netting off of your round bales and discard. Friends 600lb calf, fine in AM., dead in PM.
Autopsied stomach. Found the netting. Couldn't pass through all 4 chambers,,,, Just a reminder for all.
Same thing is true for plastic baling twine. It is undigestible and can/does kill.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Well, you're right on the degradable part.... IF I weren't using photosensitive biodegradable net wrap ;) Leave a piece on the ground, and within a year it's gone. Bales do best stored inside a building or they get soft (for the dry rounds). Our haylage is wrapped so it doesn't matter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts