Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Yes loose hay is more cost evecient and not as expencive as baled hay but it is a pain to haul. Unsess you want to feed where the hay is stacked. Loose hay is labor intencive. That is why most people use bailers. No matter what kind of hay you use it will have to be hauled and the best way to do this without a lot of trouble is to have a trailer.

·
Registered
486 Posts
agmantoo uses rotation grazing and stockpiled forage for winter....so he doesn't use hay.

I am working towards doing something similar myself, just haven't quite gotten there yet, plus I like driving the tractor around to much....haha.

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
I see agman in in a zone 7, where such things might work! Try it up here in Minnesota - and while you improve your efficiency, you still are looking at 4-6 months of winter feeding.... :)

--->Paul

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
I guess that if all your land is on pasture it might be a good thing. But since most of us have pasture and cropland thet we use for other purposes thet will not be posible. It is a good thing that some people can do that. I can get hay from places that would not make good pasture.

·
Registered
235 Posts
for most people loose hay is not very efficient because there fields are away from where they feed the cattle. I dont think baling is all that costly because you only need one person to cut rake and bale. Loose hay is very old school and very few farms have the barns required or the time it takes to feed it.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
What he uses is hayalage or siliage. Ther are many reason to use them but not for the small farmer. The cost is too high for the euipment but the product is better. Yea if I had enough land to do it that way I would do it that way. Since most people around here only farm about 40 acres or less in places that you can not use some of the land for anything but trees that would be something that many of us can't do.

6,651 Posts

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
michiganfarmer said:
I think this is fantastic for those of us who need to move hay alone.

thanks for the link. Mabey I will build one.
The advantage is if you only have one FEL tractor you can leave it at the field, unload at your hay yard without a loader and go back for next load.
Here's another company that builds one with individual cradles for each bale. The beef ranchers in the Great Plains will sometimes use those to feed cattle. They can drop one bale off for one group, then go on to another group in another pasture area(maybe miles away) and drop another, and so on. No one way is right, only have to choose what is right for your individual circumstances.
here's the Link: www.hayvans.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.